Hard starting when hot.. or just run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well .. not hot.. just when it is just run and I turn it off.. It is not hot on the water temp guage.. ( always less than half )

But when I turn it off.. and then turn it on withn a few minutes..
Crank.. crank.. crank.. ( thinking glad to have two batteries ) crank crank.. catch and start.. usually with choke..

when cold ( it's actually never cold in the jungle ) or in the mornings.. it hits on the first crank..

Stock motor.. petronix ign.. 90 oct ( allegedly ).. 200m above sea level.. 90 deg F...

ideas?

Check for vacuum leak. .02

I second the vacuum leak. My 2f had the same problem with the same hose coming off and my motor would not start unless I choked it or hooked the hose up.

If its a 60, is your carb cooling fan working?

If its a 60, is your carb cooling fan working?

X2
My carb cooling fan wasn't working and it was always a pain to start after it'd ran for a bit, which didn't make any dang sense. Fixed the carb fan and it starts right up now

It's your carb fan. You are probably getting vapor lock. It should run up to a half an hour (I think) after you turn the engine off. It the engine is warm, you turn it off, and you don't hear your fan turn on, then that is the problem. The little fan is on the driver's side in the back part of the engine bay.

anybody have pics of how the carb fan temp sensor plugs into the carb fan??

i just desmogged, and i cant seem to find where that sensor plugs in anywhere.

perhaps the connector it goes to was removed with the smog equipment?

thx - im having the exact same problem, it happens when i run it and let it sit for 20 mins, then try and start again when its hot. im sure its the carb fan.

I have no such fan.. I havent looked today.. but I am pretty sure no such fan exists in my 60.. This is a non US version.. no smog junk.. did those come with a fan too.. ?

It is a small fan that just cools the carb bowl? or the lines.. or what?

Had this same issue with my 62...NEVER did track it down either. Always fired and always performed flawlessly. For me it was one of those OLD RIG qwerks.

Unhook the rubber weatherproofing hose on the distributor cap. cap side. it grounds out when hot, seriously ! May only happen when there is a bunch of graphite loose in there, but here is the desert southwest, whenever the humidity drops, it becomes an issue.

i'd start with the carb fan fix.

I have no such fan.. I havent looked today.. but I am pretty sure no such fan exists in my 60.. This is a non US version.. no smog junk.. did those come with a fan too.. ?

It is a small fan that just cools the carb bowl? or the lines.. or what?
no, just us 60's because of the smog stuff causing so much heat on the motor. we have the carb fans and fender vents

don't know 60 motors but I had a similar problem on a different vehicle. Ended up being the coil. Also I was told that your timing being slightly off can cause this. So might check those if the rest doesn't pan out.

Sensor on the drivers side exhaust manifold sheet metal mount. It is probably that sensor that is out,the fans are depedable.On the fan if it needs anything it will be the brushes. mike

So if I never had smog equip. you never had a carb fan?
i will check plugs.. cap.. rotor.. ( i have a pertronix ) timing.. my air filter is new.. I will check my snorkel to make sure nothning is stuck inside.. I checked all bolts.. all seem tight.. so no air leak found..
It is getting harder to start all around now.. bummer..

next time you try to start it, have someone crank and pour a little gas directly in carb(be careful:D), if it fires right off its likely fuel related, if it still doesn't start its likely in your ignition system. Willing to bet its in your ignition system or timing. If it was fuel related(other than the smog BS) have a hard time seeing what would change when warm unless you are running real lean(since you said will start with choke on). Again no direct toyota engine experience so grain of salt, but give you a place to start. Eliminate what its not and you'll narrow it down.

What do you mean by petronix timing? Replacement coil or ignitor or?

ok.. will try today..
I meant to say I would check " plugs.. cap.. rotor.. ( i have a pertronix ) AND timing.. "
and that is why I didn't include points in the list..
as I have a petronox ignitor to replace the points.. sorry to confuse..

No worries :) thats what I figured you meant be petronix but kind of figured landcruisers had changed over to electronic ignition by that time.

Check the easy stuff and if you still havn't found a problem heres some info on coils I gathered when my scamp wouldn't start when warm.

Coils for a points style vehicle have a lower output than those that were designed for an electronic igniton( atleast on mopars). Since it is likely already a lower output coil, if the fluid between the primary and secondary coils (wires) isn't conducting electricity well(i.e. it gets hot and is 30 years old) you may have a very weak or no spark at all. you could pull out a spark plug and see if you get a nice blue flame or if you are getting more a yellow spark when its warm.
Coil Test - Testing Your Ignition Coil - Coil Resistance Test - How To Test Your Ignition Coil With an Ohmeter

Give you an idea on how to test your coil for resistance so you arn't just throwing parts at something.

I'm sure that someone that knows these toyota engines better could tell you for sure if the coils for a points style ignition system and a coil for electronic ignition produce different output voltages. I had almost the exact same problem, changed my coil, adjusted timing and would start everytime.
*disclaimer I still have no toyota engine experience*:D
Good luck
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom