Hard Start after filling up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I hava a 87 Fj60. I had a hard start issue in the summer. Finding out later from this Forum that it was the carb fan not working! Lately I have noticed that after I fill my Tank with gas, it takes a good amount of effort to start the Rig. Cold start is Normal. Pull choke out, 4-5 pumps, starts up. After getting gas: Pump the gas 8-10 times choke is out. Pumping while cranking. Brand new Toyota fuel pump. This was going on before the new fuel pump and after. Jim C rebuilt carb. Gas Cap, Charcoal canister? Not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated

The engine probably is getting flooded- too much gas during a hot start.

When the engine is hot, like when starting it again after stopping for fuel, it needs to be started differently than when cold. Just one pump of the gas pedal (or just press the gas pedal down 2/3 of the way and hold it there) is all that's needed to start a hot 2F (assuming the carburetor is working as it should). Don't use the choke with a hot/warm engine.

Try that next time: Hot Engine = one pump & crank the starter. No choke.

The engine probably is getting flooded- too much gas during a hot start.

When the engine is hot, like when starting it again after stopping for fuel, it needs to be started differently than when cold. Just one pump of the gas pedal (or just press the gas pedal down 2/3 of the way and hold it there) is all that's needed to start a hot 2F (assuming the carburetor is working as it should). Don't use the choke with a hot/warm engine.

Try that next time: Hot Engine = one pump & crank the starter. No choke.
I will try it out thanks for the reply!

When my truck is hot and won’t start I find that if I floor the gas and crank the engine it will start no matter how hot it is. I don’t use any choke and I don’t pump the pedal. Just push it down and crank. But I only do it if it won’t start when it’s hot.

When my truck is hot and won’t start I find that if I floor the gas and crank the engine it will start no matter how hot it is. I don’t use any choke and I don’t pump the pedal. Just push it down and crank. But I only do it if it won’t start when it’s hot.
Like temp. out side or the car is at operating temp?

Like temp. out side or the car is at operating temp?

Engine is at normal operating temp. Though hot summer days too as my carb cooling fan sensor is problematic.

Took me a while (couple years!) to figure our my 2F in my FJ 40. Finally determined never use the throttle. I was using the throttle and almost always flooding it.

Cold (even close to zero). Choke only. Warm, no choke or throttle. If it doesn’t start in 5-10 seconds, slight pull on the choke does it.

Also helped to have Steve Kramer (Poser) fine tune it👍

You just have to figure what makes yours happy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom