Hard start 2L diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

4Ruster

2LT Sufferer
SILVER Star
Threads
Engine sputters really badly and feels like a carburetor when you flood it, you have to hold the gas pedal down until it smooths out. Once it catches I have to floor the pedal or it will just die, then it will smooth out and it’ll rev up. Once it’s smooth it will idle fine but is very down on power. No smoke or anything once it’s warmed.

Check your gloplug circuit. Looks like they are not coming on before you fire it. Look up Wilson switch if you need to bypass the gloplug system.

I would also do a compression check and valve adjust?

Check your gloplug circuit. Looks like they are not coming on before you fire it. Look up Wilson switch if you need to bypass the gloplug system.

I would also do a compression check and valve adjust?
Glow plugs have a manual push button I pushed. Bypassed the stock timer and just ran power from a Ford starter relay. I glowed for 10 seconds and it’s 5°C

Is this a 12v or 24v truck? Make sure you have the right gloplug voltage. If not it will not work well.

there is a thread on Mud about right gloplug selection. Use Google to search. I will see if I can find it.

Is it also possible for an air leak in the diesel lines to do this? I'm missing a few hose clamps on the hardline-softline connections.

Yes if they brake prime. I am not as familiar with the 2LT. Works on 2Hs quite a bit.

I replaced my glow plugs when my truck was doing the same thing being cold blooded and really hard to start. I traced all the wiring harness wires and found a broken wire to the glow plug. Someone before me pulled back the factory sleeve n didn’t fix it so it was fun chasing every wire. New glow plugs were only $60 for my 2L here in Oregon

Yes, an air leak will cause diesels to not run.
To my ear, it sounds like you have plenty of compression, is it possible your ignition pump timing is not correct? Need a special tool to set it.
Cheers!

Is it also possible for an air leak in the diesel lines to do this? I'm missing a few hose clamps on the hardline-softline connections.
It's definitely possible, although it looked like you had some white smoke after the first few cranks so you are at least getting some fuel right away.

If you haven't already checked the glows, use a multi-meter to check for continuity/resistance for each plug. Just connect the positive lead to the powered side of the plug and the negative lead to the cylinder head. If it reads infinite or overload (depending on your meter) then you need new plugs. If they are good, there will be a small amount of resistance, somewhere around or below 1.5-3Ω, above that and its probably time for a new set. Would also be a good time to quickly check that you are getting power to the plugs when the glows are switched on.

If you are running a manual glow setup (wilson switch), you will want 10.5v plugs.

My 1HZ refused to start when it was below 35*, and a set of dead 6v plugs were the cause.

20220306_142713.jpg

It's definitely possible, although it looked like you had some white smoke after the first few cranks so you are at least getting some fuel right away.

If you haven't already checked the glows, use a multi-meter to check for continuity/resistance for each plug. Just connect the positive lead to the powered side of the plug and the negative lead to the cylinder head. If it reads infinite or overload (depending on your meter) then you need new plugs. If they are good, there will be a small amount of resistance, somewhere around or below 1.5-3Ω, above that and its probably time for a new set. Would also be a good time to quickly check that you are getting power to the plugs when the glows are switched on.

If you are running a manual glow setup (wilson switch), you will want 10.5v plugs.

My 1HZ refused to start when it was below 35*, and a set of dead 6v plugs were the cause.

View attachment 2950227
This is great information thank you! I think the plugs are receiving 12v but I’ll have to check. I took it for a drive last night and seems a little sluggish, no smoke or anything, I’m thinking maybe the timing could be slighlty off or the fuel is screwed in too low maybe. My friend has a 2lt 4Runner and he can stick it into 5th gear and roll coal, I however can not, makes me think I’m not getting enough fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom