Hard "downshifting" when hot H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 3rd gear buzzes a bit every once in a while when the tranny is hot. It has done it since it was new. Double-clutching does prevent it but often I am lazy...

I noticed this after a lot of wheeling and back roads. It stopped the next day.

Which manual has the adjustment procedure? I didn't find it in the manuals I have but want to give mine a looksee and make sure it's still good from when it was installed. The dodgy sifting into 2nd and 3rd is bothering me still. Not a major thing, but the fact it ran smooth as butter through the summer tells me something changed.

It is in the body FSM manual - adjustment is pretty simple. For mine (an '83 with the adjustable slave) it is as follows: The slave should be adjusted to have 4-5mm of throw before the clutch fork engages. You simply go under the truck, loosen the lock nut, and extend the nut that goes into the fork arm until the arm can only move the prescribed distance. For the pedal, in the cab look where the pedal connects to the master cylinder arm. There is a locknut here that allows you to spin the shaft that goes into the MC for adjustment purposes. The FSM throw is basically 1.5-2" before you feel resistance on the pedal. Adjust it too much and the clutch will engage at the "top" when you release the pedal, too little and the clutch will engage right off the floor. Once you have it in the range, you can tweak it slightly until you get the pedal actuation that you like.

I hope this clarifies... For '85 and up I do not believe the slave is adjustable.

It is in the body FSM manual - adjustment is pretty simple. For mine (an '83 with the adjustable slave) it is as follows: The slave should be adjusted to have 4-5mm of throw before the clutch fork engages. You simply go under the truck, loosen the lock nut, and extend the nut that goes into the fork arm until the arm can only move the prescribed distance. For the pedal, in the cab look where the pedal connects to the master cylinder arm. There is a locknut here that allows you to spin the shaft that goes into the MC for adjustment purposes. The FSM throw is basically 1.5-2" before you feel resistance on the pedal. Adjust it too much and the clutch will engage at the "top" when you release the pedal, too little and the clutch will engage right off the floor. Once you have it in the range, you can tweak it slightly until you get the pedal actuation that you like.

I hope this clarifies... For '85 and up I do not believe the slave is adjustable.
Yeah it's not I found out, so turns out in my case the only adjustment is with the pedal. Which I suspected but wasn't able to verify until I had a chance yesterday to peak under my truck. As it is, my pedal is right where it should be, but I did notice the fluid in the master cylinder is already way darker than it should be, so I'm going to put a SS braided line on and flush some new fluid through the system so I know it's all golden before the winter months. I'd rather get that SS line on while the hard and soft lines are new before threads have a chance to seize 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom