Hard/delayed shift issues ‘92 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone! Been browsing these forums for a few years now and finally needed to make an acct to hopefully get some help with what I’m dealing with.

1992 fj80 with 192,000 original miles and 182k on the current engine- original 3fe.

The issue I’m having is after the cruiser is warmed up and I’m driving on the highway I’ll experience a delayed and hard shift. Usually only happens between 2nd and 3rd, but sometimes it’ll happen in lower gears. This problem first started last fall where EVERY shift was delayed and hard for an hour drive on a highway. Since then I have adjusted the throttle cable and everything was perfect for a week or two then on my way skiing it started doing it again- but now it’s only in higher rpms and between 2nd and 3rd.

besides adjusting the throttle cable, the first thing I did was check the transmission fluid, and it still looks brand new with not metal shavings or signs of decline. I’ve had this cruiser for almost 5 years and have regrettably never serviced the trans (never had issues). Because of this I don’t want to do a trans flush, but I read that replacing the fluid might help, I just don’t see the point if my fluid looks great.

Is it possible that my throttle cable could still be out of whack from being old and it needs to be replaced? Are there any other easier things that I can check out before digging into the transmission? I really appreciate any feedback.
Hope you all are having a great weekend!

What cable, specifically, did you adjust? The kickdown cable? I had the exact same issue on my 92, and a slight tightening of the kickdown cable was all it took to fix. There is a thread about this in the 3fe section with a pic, I believe

Yep it was the kick down cable, sorry for not clarifying that in op. I have been through that thread and adjusted the kd cable to specs (.5-1.5mm) and it helped for a week or two then started getting the problematic shift again, but not as often. I’m going to adjust the cable a bit more this week, but trying to see if anyone else has had success in other fixes with this problem.

Recommend change out the transmission fluid. Although it looks fine on the dipstick, remember it is a hydraulic fluid that helps store energy to move gears, clutches, etc--this fluid and its properties wear out over time. Replace the fluid--it sounds like its time.

Last edited:
In my experience the A440f is very fluid level sensitive.

I'd change the fluid, and ensure it's at the proper level.

There's no solenoids in the 3fe transmission, so you can rule that out.

Recommend change out the transmission fluid. Although it looks fine on the dipstick, remember it is a hydraulic fluid that helps store energy to move gears, clutches, etc--this fluid and its properties wear out over time. Replace the fluid--it sounds like its time.

thanks for the reply’s everyone.

This afternoon I changed out the fluid and it’s sitting just right. Also adjusted the kick down cable a little more. Drove about 5 highway miles and it felt great, but I’ll report back after driving it a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom