Hard cold starting 84 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I've recently had an issue with cold starting. Once the engine starts, it won't stay running unless I keep my foot on the gas for about a minute. Then it will stay running but not smoothly so I let it keep running until it warns up and then it idles fine.

I tried spraying some carb cleaner and checked to make sure vacuum lines were all connected. IS it time for a rebuild? 158k on the engine.

Thanks,
Eric

is the manual choke working?

It gets damn cold here in WYO. I pull the manual choke out 1/4 to 1/2 pump the pedal three times and turn the key. Works most of the time.

Have you:

changed the oil and filter
Air filter
fuel filter
cap
rotor
plug wires
plugs and gap
adjusted the valves
serviced the intake and exhaust manifolds, gaskets, and seals

a few thoughts off the top of my head. If your engine is all in tip top tuned and fresh condition then the answer is in one direction. If its just an old 2F thats not been serviced well in a while the answer probably lies in a different direction.

Thanks, everyone. for the responses. I will double check that the choke is working. I believe it is as, once the engine is warned up, I can push the choke in and the engine idles fine.

Seth, good ideas on all of the maintenance. But I was thinking that, since it runs fine once warmed up, that those items are in ok shape. If it ran poorly both cold and warm I would be more inclined to look at those.

You can find the 2F emissions manual under the resources tab, above. There are two vacuum operated diaphragms that act on the choke plate alone (not effecting the fast idle). Choke Opener and Choke Breaker. One will open the choke plate completely once the engine is hot. The other will open the choke plate a little bit once the engine starts running. I suppose if either of these is not working, it could cause the problem you are experiencing.

Good luck.

If the engine has a vacuum leak, engine will struggle like hell when its cold - but when it finally warms up, it can then burn the leaner mixture and everything will “seem” fine. But its not

Get a vacuum gauge. Everyone with a FJ60 needs to have one. Mandatory.

Most likely NOT time for a rebuild. 2F motors can go 400k miles before a rebuild is needed. Any of those items that Seth mentioned can cause issues. Make sure the fuel cut solenoid is working on the carb. If the connection is loose it can cause rough starts. It should click when you turn the key to the ON position. If not, check out the green electrical plug on the carb and make sure the contacts are good. Make sure the fuel is 1/2 way up in the sight glass before you start it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom