Harbor Freight HVLP Turbine systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

davegonz

Keeping it Weird
SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone here have experience with any of the HF HVLP turbine paint systems? They are dirt cheap and seem to have pretty good reviews from people that have used them.

Links to reviews:
Harbor Freight HVLP is great! - Sawmill Creek

TheSamba.com :: View topic - Just tried the HF HVLP sprayer.. UPDATED

I have a 20% off coupon and might just buy one for my trailer project.

Harbor Freight links: Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

i have been researching buying a paint gun and read somewhere that the turbo systems do not work properly for auto paints because they don't push enough air. i have no idea if it is correct.

Semlin, I read some that said that as well, but then others would post about reducing the paint more and working. I bought the unit yesterday with my 20% off coupon, so it will be a cheap experiment if it fails. I'm going to just use Rustoleum primer and see how it goes.

my bet is that rustoleum primer will shoot awesome - i would imagine auto paint is a little different though

My trailer project is behind schedule, but I did manage to buy the Rustoleum primer. I'll shoot it once I get it sandblasted.

Was it the turbine system or did you use one of their HVLP conversion guns?

Semlin, I read some that said that as well, but then others would post about reducing the paint more and working. I bought the unit yesterday with my 20% off coupon, so it will be a cheap experiment if it fails. I'm going to just use Rustoleum primer and see how it goes.

...did it work?

Worked OK, but I had issues with the paint because I was spraying at 95+ F temperatures.

I've had two of the HVLP turbine setups, and they work ok, if you know how to paint with HVLP turbine.

The nozzle could be better, and they could push more air.

I did the rig in my avatar with one, and I like the way it turned out. Not everyone's cup of tea, though.

The key is to not be afraid to thin the paint according to the drip cup instructions, and to paint like you are using a giant magic marker. I've found people who know how to paint by conventional methods have a very hard time adapting to a turbine.

I love the lack of overspray with HVLP turbine. Also, it seems I use about half the paint with a turbine set up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom