Harbor freight 6-ton jack stands NOT SAFE. What do you use on your 100? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I use cribbing made of 4 x 4"s as mentioned earlier. Kind of heavy but when used in conjunction with jack stands it makes feel better when under my rig. Live by myself and do a lot of work my myself so if there was an incident it would be the coroner that finds what is left.

It’s a whole other thing if you are crushed to death and slowly suffocate for ten minutes, leaving your wife and two kids alone in this dark world because you used crap jack stands.
Alright. I ordered the Pro-Lift 6-ton set from Amazon Prime. $43 with two day shipping.
Hein-Werner ones looked really baller but at $100 a pair that's a little rich for my blood.

Don't want to bust your chops, but looks like your concern for leaving your wife behind stopped at $43. I personally use wood cribbing if I'm hanging out under a vehicle, stronger and cheaper. Buy some 6x6 and a 4x4 cut them up in one foot pieces, etc.

Didn't mean to sound like an smartazz, but we are talking about our lives if something did go really wrong.

My next set of stands will be US Jack Company 6-Ton stands. I contacted the company and received email from their production manager with full explanation of jack stand rating per industry standards. Great customer support and 100% US made.
would you mind sharing that explanation with the rest of us? thanks

would you mind sharing that explanation with the rest of us? thanks

My initial question to the company:
Hello, I was reading the product sheet on your website for your Garage Stands, and found it to be contradictory. The text on the left side of the product sheet states that the rated capacity is PER PAIR, meaning that the D-41610 6-ton stands are rated for a total of 6 tons between the pair (or 3 tons each). Yet the label on the individual stands in the pictues say they have a capacity of 6 ton EACH. This is confusing as they seem to contradict each other. Adding to the confusion, a lot of reseller sites also state that the stands are rated individually. Can you please clarify?

US Jack Company Production Manager response:
Thank you for your interest in U.S. Jack Company and our 100% USA made hydraulic jacks/ service lifting equipment.

All of our vehicle support stands (garage/ jack stands) are rated per pair, and not per stand, as this is the new industry standard as of 12/29/15.

I can see how one could be confused by the word ‘Each’ on our labels of our 3, 6 and 10-Ton Garage/ Jack Stand Models. It was intended to be read as for each pair and not each stand. We will most likely change this copy on our next label order to read ‘each pair’ or ‘rated per pair’ instead of simply ‘each’, to take out any misleading or misunderstanding language/ information. We do have a statement under the Warning on the label that states (and is underlined): ‘All Stands are Sold and Intended to be Used in Pairs.’

The current standard is that all vehicle support stands (i.e. garage/ jack stands) must be used as a pair and must be rated per pair, and not rated per stand. A new standard, ASME PASE-2014 (Safety Standard for Portable Automotive Service Equipment), became effective 12/29/15 and made clear that the vehicle support stands can only be rated per pair and not per stand. It states: ‘Maximum load capacity per matched pair shall not exceed the rated capacity of the individual stand.’ The previous standards came from the ASME PALD-2009 and ASME ASP-2010 standards.

With that being said, the testing standards for manufacturers of vehicle support stands requires that each stand be capable of performing a proof load test at 200% of rated capacity for at least 10 minutes. In order to pass this proof load test, ’a permanent reduction in overall height, measured after the removal of the load, at the point of load contact shall not exceed 0.125 in.’

Before this new standard was made available for review and prior to becoming effective, U.S. Jack Company personnel assumed that because the proof load testing was done at 200% rated capacity for each individual stand, the rating of 3-Tons for example, was per stand and not per pair. This new standard made clear that the 200% proof load test has nothing to do with the rated capacity of the garage/ jack stands and that the two are independent of one another.

Because this is a safety standard, I think the ASME committee that created this new standard wanted to make clear that: 1) the vehicle support stands are only to be used as a pair, and therefore 2) are rated per pair and not per stand as they are never intended to be used individually. They have to be rated as a pair if they are only to be used as a pair.

For these reasons, U.S. Jack Company has had to change its previous position and statements that our garage/ jack stands are rated per stand to now they are rated per pair.

We have updated the instructions and parts sheet accordingly for these products to comply with this new standard. We have also updated our product information page on our website and most recent catalog publishing.

It would be interesting what the standard was b4 2015. I'm pretty sure I knew stand ratings were per pair, years b4 to 2015.

In my experience, HF has zero after sales support for anything they sell. If the product fails under warranty, they’ll swap it with a replacement. Anything else, you’re SOL.

Timely subject, that after sales support thing. Harbor Freight is not some static mega-corporation that doesn't evolve, or respond to customers. In fact, they have just rolled out a Parts Department.

In fact, history shows that Harbor Freight is still evolving, and its Founder and CEO, Eric Smidt, is extremely involved in listening to customers and shaping his company's trajectory.

Timely subject, that after sales support thing. Harbor Freight is not some static mega-corporation that doesn't evolve, or respond to customers. In fact, they have just rolled out a Parts Department.

In fact, history shows that Harbor Freight is still evolving, and its Founder and CEO, Eric Smidt, is extremely involved in listening to customers and shaping his company's trajectory.

Good to know. Thanks.

Why is it that more of these jack stands don't use a design that has a locking pin? It is a really hard to find feature. I am looking at switching over to the Pro-Lift 6 ton model with a locking pin.

FYI I have had the 6 ton model HF jack stands slip off of the teeth. It occured in a low consequence situation with the truck when I still had the tires on, but it scared the crap out of me. I thought I had done something wrong, but I believe that it was just poor craftsmanship of the jack stands. I always grab my rock sliders and rock the truck a bit after placing the jack stands but before getting under them. Still didn't make a difference. I will look at how well the teeth seat into the lever when I go to my garage next. I don't believe that they seat very well.

Last edited:
Check out the email I just received. They describe exactly the defect that I found on the HF stands that I returned.

-------------------------

May 19, 2020

NHTSA Campaign I.D. Numbers: 20E-016 and 20E-027

Dear Sir or Madam,

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Harbor Freight Tools (“HFT”) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (models 61196 or 56371) and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (model 61197). Our records reflect that you purchased at least one of these pairs of Jack Stands.

What is the Condition?

For certain units of the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly. This condition could cause serious injury for people near or under a lifted vehicle, and/or damage to property. As a precautionary measure, we request that you discontinue use of the jack stand(s) identified below immediately.

Jack Stands included in this recall campaign include:

Item Number
Item Description
Sale Date Range
61196​
Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand​
January 2013 to March 2020
56371​
March 2020 to April 2020
61197​
Pittsburgh Automotive 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stand​
June 2013 to March 2020

No other Item Numbers are involved in this recall. The 61196 and 61197 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the yellow part of the label on the base of each jack stand.

Check out the email I just received. They describe exactly the defect that I found on the HF stands that I returned.

May 19, 2020

Dear Sir or Madam,

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Harbor Freight Tools (“HFT”) has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety may exist in certain Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (models 61196 or 56371) and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands (model 61197). Our records reflect that you purchased at least one of these pairs of Jack Stands.

What is the Condition?

For certain units of the Pittsburgh Automotive 3 Ton and 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands there is a potential, while under load and with a shift in weight, for the pawl to disengage from the extension lifting post, allowing the stand to drop suddenly. This condition could cause serious injury for people near or under a lifted vehicle, and/or damage to property. As a precautionary measure, we request that you discontinue use of the jack stand(s) identified below immediately.

Item Number
Item Description
Sale Date Range
61196​
56371​
March 2020 to April 2020
61197​
June 2013 to March 2020

No other Item Numbers are involved in this recall. The 61196 and 61197 jack stands can be identified by checking the item number found on the yellow part of the label on the base of each jack stand.
Thanks for posting...I have a set of the 61197 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yeah luckily my 3-ton stands aren't from HF either, since apparently those are affected. Funny thing is, after I bought the 6-ton stands from another brand, I ended up moving and I haven't even used them yet. Go figure.

May 19, 2020

Dear Sir or Madam,

What is the Condition?

Item Number
Item Description
Sale Date Range
61196​
56371​
March 2020 to April 2020
61197​
June 2013 to March 2020

I have the 61197 as well. They fell once while putting a wheel back on my truck. It always made me very careful to ensure the mechanism was fully engaged after that. To deal with the recall, are we just supposed to return them to the store?

I have the 61197 as well. They fell once while putting a wheel back on my truck. It always made me very careful to ensure the mechanism was fully engaged after that. To deal with the recall, are we just supposed to return them to the store?

Ah sorry thought I copied the whole email - here is the rest:

What will Harbor Freight Tools do?

To all customers who participate in the Recall by returning their pairs of 3 Ton or 6 Ton Jack Stands item numbers 56371, 61196, and/or 61197, Harbor Freight Tools will provide a gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased. Along with providing the gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased, Harbor Freight Tools is providing a 20% one-time use coupon; see bottom of this notification. This coupon may be used toward the purchase of new jack stands, or toward the purchase of any other item in the store not subject to the coupon limitations. To use, customers must hand the coupon to the store cashier to scan.

What should you do?

Following the lifting of any applicable “Shelter At Home Orders”, please bring your 3 Ton and/or 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, item numbers 56371, 61196, or 61197, to your local Harbor Freight Tools store to receive a Harbor Freight Tools gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased (plus applicable tax). You do NOT need to provide a receipt; you only need to return your pair of Jack Stands. Directions to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools store can be found on our website at www.harborfreight.com.

Customer Service Help:

If you believe that you returned your jack stands and the store failed to provide you with a gift card within a reasonable period of time, please contact:

Recalls@HarborFreight.com

Harbor Freight Tools
Attn: Customer Service
P.O. Box 6010
Camarillo, CA 93011-6010
800-444-3353

If you still believe that HFT failed to remedy the issue described above without charge and within 60 days of the date of this notice, you may file a complaint with:

Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE,
Washington, DC 20590

Or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Thank you for being a Harbor Freight Tools customer.

Ah sorry thought I copied the whole email - here is the rest:

What will Harbor Freight Tools do?

To all customers who participate in the Recall by returning their pairs of 3 Ton or 6 Ton Jack Stands item numbers 56371, 61196, and/or 61197, Harbor Freight Tools will provide a gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased. Along with providing the gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased, Harbor Freight Tools is providing a 20% one-time use coupon; see bottom of this notification. This coupon may be used toward the purchase of new jack stands, or toward the purchase of any other item in the store not subject to the coupon limitations. To use, customers must hand the coupon to the store cashier to scan.

What should you do?

Following the lifting of any applicable “Shelter At Home Orders”, please bring your 3 Ton and/or 6 Ton Heavy Duty Steel Jack Stands, item numbers 56371, 61196, or 61197, to your local Harbor Freight Tools store to receive a Harbor Freight Tools gift card equal to the retail price of the jack stands you originally purchased (plus applicable tax). You do NOT need to provide a receipt; you only need to return your pair of Jack Stands. Directions to your nearest Harbor Freight Tools store can be found on our website at www.harborfreight.com.

Customer Service Help:

If you believe that you returned your jack stands and the store failed to provide you with a gift card within a reasonable period of time, please contact:

Recalls@HarborFreight.com

Harbor Freight Tools
Attn: Customer Service
P.O. Box 6010
Camarillo, CA 93011-6010
800-444-3353

If you still believe that HFT failed to remedy the issue described above without charge and within 60 days of the date of this notice, you may file a complaint with:

Or call the toll free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to http://www.safercar.gov

Thank you for being a Harbor Freight Tools customer.
Awesome. Thanks for posting this. I didn't get this email yet, but I will certainly be returning them.

I have the 3 ton Dayton floor jack and the cross beam and it has served me well in the past year. I also have 2 of the 12 T Harbor Freight stands and they are quite beefy and almost the same design as my other of 12 T jack stands from Torin (minus 1 feature).
1589920976882.png

The major difference is that the Torin ones have a triangle pin (like the one below) that is inserted and prevents the jack from slipping even if the release is accidentally bumped. Although Torin seems to stopped making these with this pin?
1589921224374.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom