Happy Jack, AZ area trails? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fairly new GX470 guy, from Louisiana but spend the summers in the mountains. I'll be in the Happy Jack area this week at a friend's cabin. Any fairly easy trails nearby there?
I have a 2.5" lift and AT tires other than a towbar for dragging behind my motorhome I'm stock.

Tons of trails in the area. Down load the Coconino National Forest travel map. That shows which trails are still legal. Most all legal trails are good with a stock vehicle. What subdivision are you staying in? The 211 FS gets to heading northwest off SR 87. FS road 95 opposite 211 gets over to the 300 road which runs along the Mogollon rim. I spend as much time as I can in Happy Jack.

We'll be at Stag Horn drive off 316 just off of 87. Thanks for the tips I plan to stop at the Ranger station and get the paper map.
Gotta go stand on the corner in Winslow while we're up there. Any suggestions for lunch in Winslow?

You will be in Clear Creek Pines units 3 and 7. I do not know break down. They are 9 total and only 1 and 2 are separate from other units. 316 is also now a paved with a name, Pine Valley road.

Not sure the Blue Ridge Ranger Station is open to the public yet. The Mustang gas station at the junction SR 87 and Forest highway 3 going to Flagstaff may have the travel maps. Or the Happy Jack lodge just a short distance from SR 87 up Forest highway 3. If heading south on 87 from Winslow not sure who might have it. Winslow is a ways from Coconino National Forest and in Navajo County not Coconino County.

Only place I can think to eat in Winslow is at La Posada. Standing on the corner is on east bound old 66. Shortly after you make a right turn on 87 to head to Happy Jack. If you go straight instead of turning La Posada resort will be on the right side. Not sure there is room in the parking lot for a motor home towing an SUV. Should be room in the area to park. The resort has some interesting history and worth the stop even if you don't eat there.

Weather up here we be a welcome relief from Wittman. 62 degrees right now. If you haven done it going thru Sedona and up Oak Creek Canyon is a worth while trip. North end of Forest highway 3 is Lake Mary road. That is also a nice drive even thought Lower Lake Mary and Mormon Lake are both dry.

Weather up here we be a welcome relief from Wittman. 62 degrees right now. If you haven done it going thru Sedona and up Oak Creek Canyon is a worth while trip. North end of Forest highway 3 is Lake Mary road. That is also a nice drive even thought Lower Lake Mary and Mormon Lake are both dry.

Any permits needed for the area?

No permits required for just general National Forest. No special areas requiring permits in this part of Coconino National Forest I can think of. Couple years ago over west of 89A I saw this sign.
IMG_20191012_121757250_HDR.jpg

This is off FS road 239 which is road coming back to Flagstaff after the Casner Mountian run. Only place I know in Coconino National Forest with an island of State Trust Land.

Thanks Livin, took a short ride on 95 to 96 then wandered around a bit until a tree blocked the road. Nothing extreme, easy trails but nice to get out of the heat into the mountain and pine trees. Sorry, no pictures.

Was 96 blocked? Once 96 climbs up out of East Clear Creek 321 is just a little ways. That takes to the 300 which runs along the rim. Last mile or so they are maples which I take to see the fall colors each. Was in Payson today. Little warm glad to be up in cool country.

If your looking for a little more challenging trail take the turn off for Moqui campground off SR 87. No sign but their is a second campground. The other one is Blue Ridge. There is also a trail that takes you up the ridge behind them. Came down that a couple of summers ago in our stock 04 4Runner without any damage, just had to pick the right line. If you turn of FS Rd 95 at the Moqui fire tower lookout you can make your way to the Blue Ridge Reservoir. That one is less challenging but I did cut a CV boot on a 100 series years ago. Both these are only a few miles from where your staying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom