Hanna Quality modifiying the rear 80 bumper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One of the reasons I'm leaning toward the "V" side protection is the side light is not hindered. Not 100% sure yet. Since, to me, it looks good both ways I would have to choose more on practical terms.

One of the reasons I'm leaning toward the "V" side protection is the side light is not hindered.

that's what i was going to say. It does block the lights.

I must admit, i don't like the cheese grate! Sorry, JMHO.

When I buy one, it will be the old style. Of course I may change my mind after I see one painted.

I think the new design is very cool.

to each his own, though...
nice work Ken! :cheers:

Found out from Ken that the new spare tire carrier is the only option. There is no choice between old and new.

Ummmm..... that design is horrible. I honestly thought it was a joke.

Ummmm..... that design is horrible. I honestly thought it was a joke.

Original design or new design? In what capacity do you think its horrible?

If you aren't impressed with the new spare tire carrier, keep in mind that the spare tire is going to cover most of it up. Ken mentioned that the new spare tire carrier design is stronger than the original (multiple piece) design. What's not to like about that? As for the new side protection, it adds strength and allows the corner body plastic to clear on the LX450's. You may even have a choice between original and new for the side protection. Ken will have to confirm that though.

What?... it ain't cute enough for ya anymore? :rolleyes: ;p

I don't care for the new side protection, it kind of looks like the plate with holes was put there, just to use up the material or put a new fab tool to use. It may look better when it is welded, ground smooth, powdercoated, etc...

JMHO

Ken designed the jerry can holder to fit w/ a 35" spare and still have clear visibility of taillights. below is a pic of my triple can holder & 33" spare. Never an issue with the police and I have had curious police look- always impressed, never a legal issue.

The jerrycan holder & spare (or any swingarm) is removable & can be capped. (shown below)

the swingarms can be flipped (spare on PS or DS)
the side protection hoops are optional

and now there are 2 versions of side protection hoop - V and dimple die

Ken is a custom fabricator, not a paypal store.

maybe because the V hoop is such a trademark look for Hanna or people can't accept something that looks different, or style simply doesn't suit them... or the impression isn't complete b/c it is a raw, unfinished bumper... but I think it just rocks:)

The tire carrier, I have to say, is just flat out awesome. I look at that and think "stealth fighter, abrams tank, high end race truck fabrication, etc" I also see mod opportunities with the flat surfaces.

Hanna always is tweaking and improving his stuff and he's not doing it status quo. He's doing something unique and uber-strong. It's at a way higher standard than 99% of the stuff you see on the trail (LC owners are spoiled- Slee, HQ,etc)

The ARB front bumper, which is great, is cookie-cutter enough (wish I got a Slee in this regard). For the rest, I'll go with something created by a master!
AB07.jpg
DV06.jpg

i'm gonna go with lego style....but still reflects great work. definitely worth looking in to....

The bumper is going to look cool. I'm just wondering how to explain it to the wife!

Umm... Honey? The bumper always looked that way.

Front Protection?

Both designs rock! I want him to make a front piece that is this strong!! winch mount, light tabs, antenna mountS. That would be (a car) Killer!! :doh:

Ken,

Looks great, I like it, I really dig the fact you are always looking to improve/modify your design. When I first saw your 1st generation rear bumper I was not crazy about the rear quarter protection design. Now that I have been on a bunch of different trails, I see the need for some serious rear quarter protection. I have been very lucky and have not smacked my rear quarter panel….yet. During my last outing in Calico, CA I came about as close as one can. (Late at night, long day on the trail with an upset 3 year old in the back has a way of distracting oneself.) It’s really hard to come up with a design that follows the lines, looks good and provides complete rear protection. Your rear bumper appears to offer the most protection out of all the offerings. It still amazes me that you do all of this as a side business, keep up the great work.

Tare

Is it illegal to have the side lights covered? I'm having second thoughts about going with the "V" side protection. What are the drawbacks of having the rear side marker lights covered?

Is it illegal to have the side lights covered? I'm having second thoughts about going with the "V" side protection. What are the drawbacks of having the rear side marker lights covered?

IIRC it is not illegal to cover them as long as the tail light goes around the corner to provide running light to indicate the rear corner of an object (Vehicle, trailer etc) , which the 80's tail light does. The main point is to have a lit yellow light at both front side corners and a lit red driving light at both rear side corners so a vehicles basic dimensions can be observed at a quick glance at night by other drivers. I can't imagine Ken's design causing a legality issue even if the side light is completely blocked by the new dimple died plate.

IIRC it is not illegal to cover them as long as the tail light goes around the corner to provide running light to indicate the rear corner of an object (Vehicle, trailer etc) , which the 80's tail light does.

I know you can't believe absolutely everything written within Wikepedia. Check the Sidemarker Lights section: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_lighting#Sidemarker_lights
It states that "In North America, amber front and red rear sidemarker lamps and retroreflectors are required." To me that means the rear red sidemarkers are required. To me that also means that they should be showing as well.

What do you think???

Ron,
If you look carefully at most cars nowadays, they don't have sidemarker lights. They have side-facing reflectors built into the taillight lens.

The 80 has a rear facing reflector but no side facing reflector. Thus, they use the seperate side marker reflector/light.

I haven't seen the dimple die bumper in person yet but the reflector/light seems to be visible from a driving car's perspective. At night, I think the taillight/sidemarker light illumination would be visible.
You could get pinched for this but I really don't think the cops would...jmo. I have to see it in person

Ron,
The 80 has a rear facing reflector but no side facing reflector. Thus, they use the seperate side marker reflector/light.

I knew I was forgtetting something. :doh: The running light carries around the corner but the reflector doesn't. I agree with FirstToy, you could probably get nailed on a technicality but that would have to be a really bored and anal cop. I guess it boils down to whether you are comfortable with it or not. Personally I won't worry when I have protection back there if it blocks the side marker, as long as it doesn't block the visibility of the side of the tail light, which to me it appears Kens design doesn't. My .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom