Hand Throttle - Were any of these factory or aftermarket? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a 97 FJ80 last year and have been working on it. It came with a throttle knob but the cable is unhooked. Were these at all factory or all aftermarket?

The reason I ask is I bought it from the 2nd owner who had it for many years and he was not into off roading but used it strictly to pull his camper.

I've attached photos to show you the knob.

I haven't hooked it up yet but plan to soon to test it out.

thumbnail.jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

Australian delivery models have them.
mine when I bought it new was a std feature as far as i recall. I remember asking the salesman if it was a choke but he said something along the lines of 'people use them to warm the car up quicker when in the snow & freezing temps etc'

to be honest i have never used it but it is connected and works

Australian delivery models have them.
mine when I bought it new was a std feature as far as i recall. I remember asking the salesman if it was a choke but he said something along the lines of 'people use them to warm the car up quicker when in the snow & freezing temps etc'

to be honest i have never used it but it is connected and works
That is what I was thinking also. I couldn't find any information about it being a factory option here in the US.

UK models were fitted with the hand throttle. The symbol on it is the old 'choke'.

I thought it was used to give you some more revs when winching 🤔

Yep, it's a factory option, at least outside the US. My HZJ80 has it here in AU, as did my LN106 Hilux. I've used it to increase the idle RPM when I have to leave the vehicle sitting for awhile, because it's not good for a diesel to idle for extended periods at low RPM. You could use it to warm up the block, but I can't say I ever bother with that. It doesn't get cold enough where I am to need it.

Hook it up…….you’ll find yourself using it for all sorts of reasons, esp if you have/add a winch & that little 60 or 80 amp alternator is still in there.

Someone mentioned recently & the way to get precise revs is to push the pedal & only twist the hand throttle to lock it in a certain rev range - pulling the hand throttle alone always overshoots & makes more work, even with the name ‘hand throttle’ - outta call it the ‘RPM locker’ ;)

Yes, I consider this a throttle LOCK rather than a hand throttle.

From a distant memory I think older diesel Cruisers (40/60?) had a hand throttle that you would wind on a thread that would give much finer control of RPM, then give the knob a push and it would immediately release. Much better idea.

Too operate it, use the gas pedal to set the RPM where you want it, then pull the hand throttle knob, and twist to lock.

You can use it as a poor man's cruise control on long road trips.
Use it to increase revs while winching to keep the alternator working. Use it to set RPM while crawling across rocky terrain to eliminate jerky throttle input with your foot. If you have on board air, use it increase compressor output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom