Hand throttle cable to '67 carb throttle lever (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting the original single barrel carb going- after 10 minutes of rough acceleration it's now running great.

Trying to figure out how the hand throttle cable attaches to the throttle lever. The last tidbit in the box of parts is a cable connector (shown in my hand) that is a little different from the one for the choke- it's either missing or doesn't have a piece on the end opposite the screw that would mount it to the lever. In any event, mounting it that way would put it 90 degrees off from the direction the cable is coming from (straight down). I could just put it beneath the lever and run the cable into it, and it'd probably work- tension would always be pulling it up against the lever. But that doesn't seem right at all. Anyone have this original setup?

In picture, looking straight down cable outer shield would mount in the out of focus bracket on the left side of picture and cable goes down to wide hole on throttle lever just off my ring finger.

IMG_6082.JPG

What you have described is exactly how my hand throttle cable was attached when I bought the truck, and so that is how I reattached it after getting the carb back from Mark.

I apologize in advance to any who are offended on the less than pristine cleanliness of the motor. In depth cleaning is still yet to come on this project.

IMG_0933.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Arne- yeah, I can't believe that's the factory way this connects, but it'll work until I figure something better out. It looks like the little spring is missing from your throttle connection to the throttle lever (you can see it on mine). I was so lucky my friend Chris had put all these parts into a bag when he switched to a Weber.
And no offense... I've just been in a little OCD mode since I got this truck. Looks like yours will polish right up fine.

Question- hijacking my own thread- do gaskets on carb get any goopy stuff? After a fresh rebuild on this SD40, including new gaskets, I see a little fuel leaking out around the base and maybe between the two body halves. I figured they went on dry...

-Brian

Yup, I am missing the spring, and I noticed that when I looked at you picture. After I took the picture above I found a little spacer to put on there that will work until I can find something similar to that stock spring.

I’ve been more concerned with getting mine running that cleaning it, only cleaning the parts I’ve worked on so far. Plan to do some more serious work while the tub is off getting painted. But I’m not shooting for pristine, just well maintained vintage stock. So I doubt mine will ever look as good as what I see in yours.

I’m not sure about using gasket sealer on the actual carb gaskets. I did not do mine myself, sent it to @65swb45 for rebuild. I don’t think I’ve ever used sealer on carb in the past, though. I did use some on the base/spacer/manifold gaskets when I installed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom