Hand crank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I made my own hand crank based on some Mud measurements in a thread I can't find. I made mine shorter, however, because the OEM 1960s crank would bend (at the bumper bracket) when you cranked the truck. Just get some 3/4" bar stock, heat and bend with a torch, and drill and insert a section of steel rod (or a bolt) at the business end. You will want to make/buy a bumper bracket.

I just crank-started my FJ40 for some co-workers a couple weeks ago. I also crank started it cold (vs. hot), and that is more difficult. I have AFI TBI on my engine, and it surprised me that the EFI would work (allow the engine to start) at hand cranking speeds, but it does.

Have searched the site, but cannot find: Does anyone (or can anyone) sketch or describe the exact dimensions of the FJ40 engine crank handle so that I might my welder/fabricator copy one? The flywheel pin attachment is specifically needed. My '40 is a 1978. Thanks for any help.

I could get some measurements from the one I have. If someone we’ll say if the one I found in an old 55, probably for the spare tire, is the same thing.

I could get some measurements from the one I have. If someone we’ll say if the one I found in an old 55, probably for the spare tire, is the same thing.

did you look on the first page of this thread?
posts 6, 7, 13

I made my own hand crank based on some Mud measurements in a thread I can't find. I made mine shorter, however, because the OEM 1960s crank would bend (at the bumper bracket) when you cranked the truck. Just get some 3/4" bar stock, heat and bend with a torch, and drill and insert a section of steel rod (or a bolt) at the business end. You will want to make/buy a bumper bracket.

I just crank-started my FJ40 for some co-workers a couple weeks ago. I also crank started it cold (vs. hot), and that is more difficult. I have AFI TBI on my engine, and it surprised me that the EFI would work (allow the engine to start) at hand cranking speeds, but it does.

Key on and power from the battery doesn't surprise me. Fuel is being de delivered. Doubt without a charged battery it would work. Never tried but curious if this would work with a dead battery. The early Land Cruisers had a hand primer on a fuel pump. Dead battery and Cruiser been sitting for a while would be possibly fill bowl on the carburetor. Pull the choke and pump the pedal a few times. That would be the real test. Otherwise just good for a bad starter. On a flat hard surface not hard to get a 40 started in second gear just pushing the cruiser by hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom