hand brake (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can you believe the price they want for replacement hand breaks?
(i'm not going to link you to one)

can i take something from a little nissan or isuzu truck and bolt it on?
will it work?

The e-brake doesn't care if you pull the cable and tie it to the steering wheel, so long as its tight enough. :D
As long as you can mount it, and it pulls the cable, then your set to go. I like the floor ones like on late 40's and 60's. It would be cool to fit one of those. I keep knocking the stock one with my knee getting in.

pics of this would be great (either setup)
i don't even know where the old one bolts up.

my dad tore it out back in the early 70's to mount his cb.

[quote author=rusmannx link=board=1;threadid=5562;start=msg43877#msg43877 date=1064271893]
my dad tore it out back in the early 70's to mount his cb.
[/quote]
Hmm, that is a good place for one. :D
Sorry no pic for now, the digicam's battery was dead.

no problem.

I will sell you a handbrake assy cheap!

how cheap is cheap?

How about 50% of SOR?

Just a thought....

I kept hanging up the housing for the parking brake (the part on the back of the t-case) on big rocks and finally bent it bad enough it wouldn't let my driveshaft turn. Also didn't like all the play in the old stretched out cable. Unless your wanting to stay stock, line locks work great as a parking brake and can be set up for $50-$100? I just pump the brake once or twice, flick the switch and pow, I'm locked. Just thought I'd throw another option out there...

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

can you tell me more about this line lock?
where do you get something like that?
how do you install it?
how does it work?

I had help from a guy who had installed them on his rigs but here's what I can tell ya...and I bet if you post a question about "Line Locks" you'll get great tech! Anyway, the way it works is a small electical solenoid (about three inches long by two high) can be installed on the inside of your engine compartment, on top of your inner fender, wherever, and then wired to your battery and to a switch installed in your dash (like a switch for an electric locker). The solenoid has an attachemnt for you brake lines that come off your brake cylinder in the engine compartment. When you pump your brake pedal, it fills the brake lines with fluid and activates your brakes. With the line lock, you pump the brakes, which fills the lines, and flick your dash mounted switch and the electrical solenoid kicks on and holds the fluid in the lines...e.g. and electric parking brake! Flick the switch again and your off and running with no brakes. Only drawback I see is if you park for long periods of time on inclines and the solonoid would drain your battery...but only after hours on end. Also, I sometimes put mine on, go into a store, come out and forget it's on....then you hit reverse and go Nowhere :D No biggie, just flick it off and go! It is not a hard install at all...the Downey catalogue most of the parts, and the solenoids are available in J.C. Whitney and other catalogues I'm sure...ask around a bit. Anyway, hope this helps...I've found it a lot nicer than fighting with cables!

Scott
78 FJ-40 "Rudy"

Another drawback: spring a brake fluid leak and you have no backup. Maybe not a big deal but something to consider. At least with a cable you have both a hydraulic and a mechanical way to stop.

This stuff goes through my head because I'm a SCUBA diver and I subcribe to the Department of Redundancy Department. :D

[quote author=Desertdave link=board=1;threadid=5562;start=msg44183#msg44183 date=1064344608]
Did you also attend the College of Redundancy University?
[/quote]

:D

I'm quite sure that if you want to keep it street legal you have to have a dual system hence the hydraulic/cable system that is on most vehicles.

Also the line lock thing does work great but does draw on the battery, A mico lock from a tow truck works great and does not use any power.

I looked into getting a Mico lock. I've used them and they work great (as long as no leaks). But they are Expensive! I found one in an old dump truck at the salvage yard and got it for $10. Better get usin it!

It would be nice to plumb it into both front and rear lines but I don't immediately see how to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom