Hand brake not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Your rear axle looks just like my 84 axle. I have the H41 four speed and transfer. It has the hand brake. The split transfer cases I in Australia are all 10/82+ (start of the 83 model year). That was the date the fifth gear oiler provision. 83/84 had a hand brake in Australia. If there was one it wouldn't have a handle to operate one. My money is on transfer was replaced with one from another series or from FJ40/BJ42. Mid wheel 40 series was not sold in Australia during the eighties. Never seen one there older than the early sixties.

Your rear axle looks just like my 84 axle. I have the H41 four speed and transfer. It has the hand brake. The split transfer cases I in Australia are all 10/82+ (start of the 83 model year). That was the date the fifth gear oiler provision. 83/84 had a hand brake in Australia. If there was one it wouldn't have a handle to operate one. My money is on transfer was replaced with one from another series or from FJ40/BJ42. Mid wheel 40 series was not sold in Australia during the eighties. Never seen one there older than the early sixties.

image.jpg

You can see the bell cranks on rear axle. The cables are missing.

X2, it looks like the bellcrank is in the pic of the right rear

Are you able to circle the bell crank for me?
Yup, one on each side. Lever with springs. Should be a cable across the axle connecting them. Looks like the main cable is there in the center.

i-DXRRkkp-M.jpg

Yup, one on each side. Lever with springs. Should be a cable across the axle connecting them. Looks like the main cable is there in the center.

i-DXRRkkp-M.jpg
Thank you very much being a woman I’m not overly confident when it comes to this I’m just a basics kind of girl can change oil, radiator fluid filters etc but I am conveying this all to my partner who is a bit more advanced than me so have I got this right hopefully is it just a matter of buying a replacement cable that will attach from the hand brake itself and trace down along to the main cable that you said was there and along to both left and right bell housings?

Or will I need these also

View attachment 2796524

That is the hand brake adjustment cable but do not see that listed for the FJ45 or HJ47. If you do not have the opening for the hand brake lever on the back you do not a hand brake in the rear axle. You can keep searching around but in the end the hand brake on the back of the transfer is missing. If you could find a matching era 4042 or 60 series rear axle could take the backing plates/brakes could use those to modified your rear axle. Believe it the HZJ79 cable that can be used in the LWB 4X series. Would need to secure the cable but would need to take the split transfer case apart to install the hand brake.

Or will I need these also
You need a lot of things. You don’t have a hand brake at all, only the lever in the cabin. Seems like it’s been in the transfer case/rear cardan axle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom