Hand brake not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Common issue I don’t have a working hand brake (floor location). Anyone help with the steps I need to take to figure out what/where the issue is?

CA36C22F-7FA7-485F-A5A7-1D1B8BB6A1B9.jpeg

First place to look is the bell cranks on the rear drum. They seize up.

where is the park brake? is it on the rear of the transfer or the rear axle?
is this an 83-84?
does the handle move?
is there any resistance?

there isn’t any cable attached to the hand brake inside the car so can’t follow that to investigate further as I’m clueless in regards to that side of things

Is the hand brake on the floor or under the dash? Do you know what year the 40 is?

how about a few pics underneath, from rear of rear axle and rear of transfer case.
I don't know if the 45's with full float got it on the axle or it is still on the transfer.
@Living in the Past would probably know.

how about a few pics underneath, from rear of rear axle and rear of transfer case.
I don't know if the 45's with full float got it on the axle or it is still on the transfer.
@Living in the Past would probably know.

Never seen any 45 or 47 with the hand brake on the rear axle. They had it on the transfer case with split transfer case. Those are the only series I have ever seen listed with hand brake on the split transfer case. Didn't matter if it was semi or full floater rear axle.

The hand brake cable runs on the side.of the axle. I have rear axle, transmission and transfer case from a 84 HJ47RV that came from Queensland. Help sell a couple of hand brake set up from FJ45/HJ47 from Australia. I have a couple hand brake sets and split case transfer case with hand brakes still in Australia. These too were from either FJ45s or HJ47s. If your transfer case doesn't have a hand brake it is mostly because some changed the transfer case with one from a 60/70 series. What size it the transfer idler shaft.

@Living in the Past
John, since the rear axle has 1 wheel cylinder, wouldn't it have the park brake there? also for the self adjusting feature?
did single wheel cylinder axles not come with the park brake?

@teenymak how about a pic of the rear of the rear axle?

The hand brake cable runs on the side.of the axle. I have rear axle, transmission and transfer case from a 84 HJ47RV that came from Queensland. Help sell a couple of hand brake set up from FJ45/HJ47 from Australia. I have a couple hand brake sets and split case transfer case with hand brakes still in Australia. These too were from either FJ45s or HJ47s. If your transfer case doesn't have a hand brake it is mostly because some changed the transfer case with one from a 60/70 series. What size it the transfer idler shaft.
No idea tbh

Paul not all single wheel cylinder had the parking brake. All 8/80+ FJ45s and all HJ47s had the hand brake on the transfer cases. I have the rear axle from the 84 HJ47RV here. It only has one wheel cylinder and no hand brake or provision for one except for bracket to anchor the brake cable on the welded back diff cover. Can get pictures tomorrow if want.

Paul not all single wheel cylinder had the parking brake. All 8/80+ FJ45s and all HJ47s had the hand brake on the transfer cases. I have the rear axle from the 84 HJ47RV here. It only has one wheel cylinder and no hand brake or provision for one except for bracket to anchor the brake cable on the welded back diff cover. Can get pictures tomorrow if want.
Someone seems to think 83 didn’t come with one at all and someone has added one so I’m not sure. The issue is we have hopefully sold it but the transport company won’t accept it if no functioning handbrake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom