HAMOM-Charlotte (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ghostrider I

I wear many "heads" as I have many vehicles.
Threads
Well, my HDJ-80 is back FINALLY from H&H. With that said, I am going to need help stripping off the gear (bumpers, rack,tent, fabricate new limb risers, get the auxiliary lights working) off the gas 80, and put onto the diesel. The bumpers that are on the diesel will go on the gasser. Also, I'm going to need some expertise in wiring- I'll explain later.

Unfortunately, living in a condoplex I have no room and a prickly HOA. Of course, space is needed as well for the transformation. Golden offered his driveway. I know Rushing has an ideal setup as I have been there,but it's his call.

My work schedule always has two days off, and if I am lucky one is a Saturday or a Sunday.

Of course, there are logistics too.

Anyone out in Charlotte wanna help, etc? I'd like to get this started soon.

Thanks!

Bueller, Bueller???

Due to Covid-19 I am not really interested in having a gathering at my house in the immediate future. Best of luck, Danton.

I would love to relieve some stress by beating parts into submission but I'm medically sequestered for about a month, at least, at this point. No, not Covid related at all. Just a little problem with my immune system stemming from what's still a mystery at this point. I have a feeling it'll be closer to 2 months. At least summer was already ruined.

yeah, the social distancing thing kinda gets in the way of all this.... too many people out there still worrying about cooties.

I completely understand, we will adjourn to a later date.

I completely understand, we will adjourn to a later date.
This would be gravy work for pretty much any shop in town. It doesn't need to be a Land Cruiser specific place. Maybe go to one of the little hispanic-owned shops along S. Blvd and see if they'd be willing to do it for cash. Tire shop. Body shop. Doesn't matter. If they have a couple of guys and air tools, they can knock it out. It may cost you $150, but it will be done quickly. Nobody's driving much anymore so independent repair shops are struggling. Chances are they'd love to have the work.

Last edited:
Most of it could be done by one person. The rack is a different story though since you run the risk of scratching the hell out of your roof depending on your roof height.

I'd get as much done by yourself as possible then get 2 friends to stop by real quick to help you throw the rack on and tent. Then give them some distance beers and some air knuckles lol.

Most of it could be done by one person. The rack is a different story though since you run the risk of scratching the hell out of your roof depending on your roof height.

I'd get as much done by yourself as possible then get 2 friends to stop by real quick to help you throw the rack on and tent. Then give them some distance beers and some air knuckles lol.
Uh, a rear bumper with a spare tire carrier is not light.

Uh, a rear bumper with a spare tire carrier is not light.

No but can be done, plus you can take the tire carrier off first right? Maybe not I have no idea what kind of bumper you have.
Anyway just a thought of how to do it in the time of COVID-19

I don't think the carrier can be taken off. Dunno the name, but I do have an ARB front bumper.

Front bumper is easily doable.
I'd imagine you could still do the rear but I have no idea that is up to you and your strength level.

Just make sure you channel your inner Clarkson when doing it.

tenor.gif

lol Good luck

Two floor jacks a large board and ratchet straps would do the trick for getting a bumper off and back on. The tent and rack would require an overhead pulley system. There is a ceiling storage rack that has a winch they can be purchased for cheap and would do the trick, if you have a garage to attach it to, of course.

The tent storage pulley system would be a boon. Any suggestions of who might carry it? Driving the gasser is quite interesting as it is top heavy with the tent.

Two floor jacks a large board and ratchet straps would do the trick for getting a bumper off and back on. The tent and rack would require an overhead pulley system. There is a ceiling storage rack that has a winch they can be purchased for cheap and would do the trick, if you have a garage to attach it to, of course.
Found it on Bezos' empire.

The swing-outs on the rear bumper are 100 percent removable. Takes about 10 minutes per side. Pop off the dust cap, pull the cotter pin, loosen the bolt, yank the swing-out. I would not even try to install a rear bumper with the swingouts attached.

I don't enjoy driving around with my RTT on top either. I bought an el cheapo 440 lb hoist and attached it to my ceiling. I think the hoist was maybe $80 from amazon. The tent lives up high suspended from the hoist. I install it on the truck to go camping, remove it when I get home. Saves wear and tear on the tent too, not being exposed to the elements all the time.

IMG_2714[1].JPG

I don't enjoy driving around with my RTT on top either. I bought an el cheapo 440 lb hoist and attached it to my ceiling. I think the hoist was maybe $80 from amazon. The tent lives up high suspended from the hoist. I install it on the truck to go camping, remove it when I get home. Saves wear and tear on the tent too, not being exposed to the elements all the time.

View attachment 2313191

That's cool and all, but how does everyone know you are a fellow ExpoBro when driving around? :hmm:;)

That's cool and all, but how does everyone know you are a fellow ExpoBro when driving around? :hmm:;)
I know, right! Broverlanders kill me.

That's what the MaxTrax bolted to the rack are for :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom