HAMOM 7/14-7/16 FJ60 build, parts clean out. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

AJR

Threads
As the title states, I'll be hosting a couple HAMOMs and asking for some help completing the build of my 60, and also cleaning out my shop to prepare for moving.

Shop Clean out: I'm moving in the end of July, and would like to minimize the amount of stuff I move to only tools and a few spares for my 80. That leaves a massive amount of stuff to get rid of before then (anyone who's been to my shop, or upstairs in my shop knows). I would like these parts to go to use, but in the end they all need to go somewhere since I don't want to move them. There is a lot of 80 body parts, mostly doors, there's a ton of 1FZ stuff, and also a bunch of misc. random stuff too. I've gone back and forth in my head about what I wanted to do with all of this stuff. I've thought about trying to sell it all at fire sale prices, I've thought about an all you can carry kind of sale, I've thought about trying to make a package deal where one price takes all. I could certainly use the money for moving and for completing the 60 build, but in the end it doesn't feel right to ask club members to help me sell parts to make a little money when what I really need is my shop cleaned out.

So, here's my idea. Come help for the day on one of these dates, by the last day my shop should only contain tools and the few parts that I want to move (this should be limited to a couple Rubbermaid totes). Take whatever parts you want, and send whatever money you think is fair to the GoFundMe that @UZJ105 created for @forrest5000 . Here's the link: ONSC member in need - GoFundMe - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/onsc-member-in-need-gofundme.1310904/. If there's stuff left that no one wants by the 16th, I'll have my trailer there and we can just load everything on the trailer for scrap.

60 Build: This post will eventually turn into the build thread for my 60. I have 2 60 series that I'm turning into 1 60 series. I've started on it this weekend, but there's a lot to finish by Aug. The goal is to be able to drive this and not to trailer it away. This is what needs to happen to do that:
  • This 60 is going to have 80 axles. The axles need to be prepped for leaf springs. I'm putting Chev 63s in the rear, and the 62 rears up front. I have all the brackets and stuff already, there just needs to be a lot of grinding and welding done. Both of the axles also need to be serviced- bearings, knuckles, etc.
  • I bought sliders a long time ago. They need to be modified a little and welded on. This might kind of seem unnecessary to make this a drivable truck, and it is, but I'm also trying to limit the amount of stuff I have to move that's not attached to a truck.
  • After sliders and suspension, the frame needs to be painted with rust encapsulator and paint.
  • The interior of the 62 I'm using needs a complete re do, including wiring. I'll be gutting it, spraying it with lizard skin and replacing all the nasty stuff. I have a wiring harness for it, and most of the replacement parts will come from my 60.
  • Engine/drive train swap. Pull engine and trans from silver 60, and swap into 62. This might also include a different engine, I'm not sure yet.

This is a basic overview, and I'll get into more detail later.

As with other HAMOMs I've hosted, your welcome to camp out any of the nights, we'll have a fire. I'll provide food and drink, just give me an idea of who's coming so I can plan accordingly. I have lots of tools, but it has been helpful in the past when people bring some cordless stuff since there's usually more hands than there are tools.

Any amount of help will be much appreciated, and there's plenty to do for anyone regardless of your skill level. These get togethers have always been a lot of fun in the past, and sometimes even productive.

Last edited:
Current state of the 60
IMG_1168.jpeg

I don't foresee any reason I can't make it both weekends, but I will have to confirm with the wife.

Congratulations on the marriage, sounds like you had an eventful weekend.

Turns out I'm free both weekends

I don't foresee any reason I can't make it both weekends, but I will have to confirm with the wife.
This is god level sarcasm and I love it

Made some progress this weekend on the 60 build. @UZJ105 wire wheeled and primed the firewall while I worked on the front leaf spring setup and axle. Took the rear 62 springs for the front and flipped them, welded a bushing in the frame for the shackle hangers. Also cleaned up the front 80 e locker axle to weld on u-bolt eliminator spring perches.

I've also just realized that I never updated this with a picture of the interior. A couple weeks ago I completely gutted it. It was nasty and rodent infested, so I'm taking it down to bare metal to start over. It'll get lizard skin and sound deadening mat. Anything that was made out of cloth was trash and all of the wiring was destroyed either by rats or fire, or maybe it was fire rats. I don't know, but it was bad.

Spray some second skin ceramic and sound deadener on the firewall before you paint it.

Funny how random those seem to be. This truck has a build date of Dec 87, my other one is Jul 86 and does not have them. I’ve heard of older ones that did.

I've found no rhyme or reason with the shoulder belt nuts in the C pillar either. I'm sure there is some reason only the Toyota Yodas know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom