HAMmers: question on antenna mount (FJC related) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are SW antenna mounts pretty universal?

Looking to put an antenna external to the FJ for the little baofeng radios. Looking at a CB antenna mount and wondering if it is the same hole pattern: 2007-2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser Bandi CB Antenna Mount - https://allprooffroad.com/shop-by-vehicle/by-vehicle-fj-cruiser/2007-2014-toyota-fj-cruiser-bandi-cb-antenna-mount.html
CB antenna mounts and Ham mounts are not the same. For a handheld radio I would go with a mag mount.

and do you have a recommendation. (I have no clue where the local ham-hut is or if it even exists.)

hamcity.com

Are they gentle on the paint?

I was concerned about that too and on a whim decided to try these that I already happened to have and it worked great between the paint and mag mount. Just don't leave them on too long (months) baking in the sun or they can be hard to remove.

HYS TC-MB90 NMO Mount Magnetic Base for Car Bus Taxi Mobile Radio Antenna W/5M(16.4ft) RG58 Coaxial Cable PL-259 PlugHYS TC-MB90 NMO Mount Magnetic Base for Car Bus Taxi Mobile Radio Antenna W/5M(16.4ft) RG58 Coaxial Cable PL-259 Plug
Ultrasonic repeller Model BH-3 Ver.341
Purchased 1x.Last purchased on Jul 5, 2021
4.5 out of 5 stars 175
$25.99
Sold by HYS Communication and Fulfilled by Amazon.

*********************************************************************************************

I got this one from Amazon recently and it has a rubber base on the magnet to avoid scratching the paint.

Also, please note this is an "NMO" antenna mount, so you will want to buy the NMO antenna, otherwise it won't connect.

I got a VHF/UHF antenna that was about $75, but you may be able to get something cheaper depending on what frequencies you expect to use the radio. Got that from Amazon as well:

**********************************************************************************************

Comet
CA-2X4SRNMO CA2X4SRNMO CA-2X4SR(NMO) CA2XSR(NMO) Original Comet Dual Band VHF/UHF Mobile Antenna W/Fold-Over Hinge NMO Connector 140-160/435-465 MHzCA-2X4SRNMO CA2X4SRNMO CA-2X4SR(NMO) CA2XSR(NMO) Original Comet Dual Band VHF/UHF Mobile Antenna W/Fold-Over Hinge NMO Connector 140-160/435-465 MHz
Medium
Purchased 1x.Last purchased on Jul 5, 2021
4.6 out of 5 stars 127
$73.99

**********************************************************************************************

Hope this helps!
Evan

A caution about the second link that Evan posted above. That antenna may get caught up on branches and get damaged due to the ring thing so bear that in mind.

I forgot you mentioned you were planning this for a handheld radio. The setup described above is for a mobile radio mounted in the vehicle.

You will need one more small adapter with a PL-259 connector at one end and another smaller fitting for the handheld radio on the other end. The cable from the mag mount antenna will typically be a larger PL-259 fitting that would connect to a mobile radio mounted in the vehicle. The antenna connection for the handheld radio is much smaller and I am sorry, but I don’t know the name of that fitting. Someone should be able to chime in with that for you.

See the picture below - the PL-259 fitting is the silver one and the connection for the handheld is the brass one.

E066ACC7-F169-4CCB-955B-7F916B3D57DF.jpeg

I was texting with Steve last night and started thinking about the rabbit hole. Maybe a more stationary solution is needed since I have a blank canvas to start with.

I was texting with Steve last night and started thinking about the rabbit hole. Maybe a more stationary solution is needed since I have a blank canvas to start with.

A permanent mobile solution makes sense and it tends to be cleaner, if you put forth the time. Additionally, your range is further and it's easier to use. Cause you know, we're all have the dexterity of a 90yo at times while wheeling :bang:

Are they gentle on the paint?

Mag mounts are easier on paint than hard mounts in my experience.

For RF connectors, citizen band (CB) most commonly uses UHF SO-239 (socket) and PL-259 (plug). Amateur radio (HAM) typically uses N-type, SMA, and BNC connectors for frequencies above 100 MHz. You may see some HAM setups that still use UHF connectors, but they're not ideal when compared to the others. For example, the UHF-N pigtail sent with my Nagoya HAM mag mount antenna. You'll find that many HAM antennas utilize the NMO (new motorola) connector for the antenna side. Most of the cabling used for these connectors are RG58.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm attempting to get thru my latest home stereo project then will be shifting gears. (Ha!) Hopefully get something installed soon.

thanks for the tips, everyone. I'm attempting to get thru my latest home stereo project then will be shifting gears. (Ha!) Hopefully get something installed soon.
I have a mag mount antenna if you want to give it a try before you buy.

I have a mag mount antenna if you want to give it a try before you buy.
ya, sure. Looking like I'll be down ABQ-way around Labour Day week. If'n you'll be around, I can pick it up then.

ya, sure. Looking like I'll be down ABQ-way around Labour Day week. If'n you'll be around, I can pick it up then.
There is a 100% chance I won't be around Labor Day weekend. If you want I can give it to somebody else in the club when we gather for Ouray.

There is a 100% chance I won't be around Labor Day weekend. If you want I can give it to somebody else in the club when we gather for Ouray.
Steve (Lurch) would be the best bet. I need to pick up a fairing from him and possibly get a mtb ride in next time I'm down that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom