Hammerite vs. Rustoleum Hammered... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody have experience with either of these paints? The Restoleum is the knock off of the original Hammerite brand, but is one better? The application would be on a front bull bar.

Russell

I use the Hammerite quite a bit - don't think I've ever seen the Rustoleum Hammered. My cruiser is in a slow evolution (every time I take a part off or add something on) of becoming Hammerite smooth dark green with hammerite hammered dark gray accessories.

I built a winch bumber and some sliders a couple years ago and painted them the hammered dark gray. I like the look and the paint has held up as well as can be expected. I've rubbed some off the sliders (sanding the steel prior to paint would have helped), and I've recently noticed a little bit of rust coming through in a couple places on my bumper. The rust is showing up in places where I didn't get adequate coverage (only one coat :rolleyes: ) over a weld.

I just bought a quart and once I finish sanding my hardtop, I think it's going to be gray as well.

Anything I have "hammerited" worked fine until it got abraded by something. For radiator brackets/ seat brackets etc. it worked well. Everything was bead blasted and primed first though. but I would use something a little more "robust" on a bumper.

i have used both and so far cant tell any differance, but its only been about a year now. the rustoleum is a little cheaper thats the only differance ive noticed :D

I've used the Rustoleum Hammered silver on a set of FJ60 wheels and for this it's holding up fine. On the FJ60 I'm currently working on the skidplate, splashguard, tranny cover, and other similar pieces are getting hit with the hammered silver.

You going to post this everywhere??

Godwin said:
I've used the Rustoleum Hammered silver on a set of FJ60 wheels and for this it's holding up fine. On the FJ60 I'm currently working on the skidplate, splashguard, tranny cover, and other similar pieces are getting hit with the hammered silver.

Yep, I used Rustoleum hammered black on a set of white spoke waggys for my Toy mini. Turned out pretty well, but chips easily and requires lots of touchups.

I've used the Hammerite on my horsetrailer and was not impresses. It oxidized badly after less than a year. No experience with the Rustoleum. In my limited experience, any automotve paint is usually better than non automotive paints. In a rattle can, I've had good results from Duplicolor. I think it oxidizes much slower.

I used the Rustoleum on my rear Diff / axle and all.Works like a champ!!! It's been on over a year now and it still looks brand new.I used a Bed liner paint on my cage and I'm not as happy. This winter is Re-paint season and I'm goin Hammered on the 6 point.I have a pretty clean rig and when I first bought it ,the paint was a fresh single stage shot by Macco.It looked great> I babied it and cruised around like a mall rat poser,Finally got in a wreck.Best thing that could have happened to me..I'm seriously considering doing a rattle can this winter.I never enjoyed it as much when it was Pristine. Now,I'm havin a blast!!!!! I'ts just no fun picking lines that keep you worrying about scratches...and God forbiid...scuffing the Armor Alled sidewalls.

I used beige hammerite smooth on my whole 40 body. Rattle canned it. At first it came out great but over just a year and a half it weathered really badly and oxidized quite a bit. I know, can't expect much but I thought it would hold up much better than it has. If you are set on using it I would do some type of clearcoat covering. I just wetsanded the whole body this weekend and put on about 2 coats of rustoleum clearcoat, came out ok I think? The hammerite was getting to the point that it was soaking in every little bit of buy juice, etc and I wanted to try to make the paint a little more sealed.

HTH<

Noah
Cruiser 11.05 001.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom