Hammering on wheel and bearings

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by The Proton, Jul 14, 2005.

1. The Proton

The Proton

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All,

While removing a wheel lug from the right rear of my 94 LC, I broke one of the studs. (Wheels were last removed by the dealer, I assume they used air to tighten....). After searching the forum it seems possible to hammer the stud out without removing the axle, then manuever the new one behind the shield into place. What worries me is using the big hammer on the stud while the axle is in place, and if there is a chance of damaging the bearings or something else while pounding away. If so I'll do it the long way, but I figure as long as I don't use the sledge it should not be too much worse than the stresses of daily driving.

Opinions?

Thanks

2. Rookie2

Rookie2

This thread has some pictures of the setup (assuming it's similar on the 94) but I'm not sure if there's enough room to pound out the studs with hub still in place.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?p=432304#post432304

I don't have my FSM with me. Did you check what it says for replacing the studs?

:beer:
    Rookie2

3. mooker82

mooker82

There is enough room to pound out the old wheel stud. I used a punch to knock mine out then pushed new ones into the rear and tightened down the lug nut to pull it through. It worked for me but I do not know about damage to the wheel bearings. I think IdahoDoug does not recommend this method unless it is an emergency. I did this method because I will be replacing the rear wheel bearings soon. IIRC the stud did not take too hard of a hit to knock it out.

4. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    if you must use an air hammer to pound out the stud in situ, then use a socket for safety. Stick the head of the air hammer through the socket to pound on the stud. This way, your slippage is minimized. Just my .02 cents.

5. elmariachi

elmariachi

I would remove the hub, but of course I have the tools and time and maybe you don't.

6. IdahoDoug

IdahoDoug

To that, I'd add that if the hub's coming off, you might as well pick up all 6 studs, and the seals for the axle to keep oil out of the wheel bearing. Expect to find yours with all grease washed out - just oil in the bearings.

DougM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.