HAM Test Challenge - Wave 3, Apr27 - Interested? (1 Viewer)

"I'd like to finally get my HAM Radio License so I can enjoy the outdoors even more..."

• "Definitely this year. When is the next test date?"

Votes: 8 80.0%
  • "Probably not this year. I don't have the time."

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "I'm still on the fence."

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This the correct one?

Only difference i saw was an "A" at the end of the model name

I'd say the only thing to consider is if you want to use APRS, with that radio you'd need to add a GPS module and would need to manually swap channels if you want to talk.

I think the thing I am most excited about is using APRS to send messages and location info back home.

for reference: Google Maps APRS

Last edited:
I'd say the only thing to consider is if you want to use APRS, with that radio you'd need to add a GPS module and would need to manually swap channels if you want to talk.

I think the thing I am most excited about is using APRS to send messages and location info back home.
huh, i didn't even consider that. That would be nice to be able to send messages back home. I do have one of those DeLorme/Garmin inReach satellite messengers that i can send text messages and location with, but technically i've never needed to send a message. I just keep if for emergencies. Not sure if APRS would be more useable since Garmin charges for every message. what radio (s) are you looking at that have that feature?

huh, i didn't even consider that. That would be nice to be able to send messages back home. I do have one of those DeLorme/Garmin inReach satellite messengers that i can send text messages and location with, but technically i've never needed to send a message. I just keep if for emergencies. Not sure if APRS would be more useable since Garmin charges for every message. what radio (s) are you looking at that have that feature?

Don't quote me, but I believe there is a way to get your Garmin to talk with your radio, just not totally sure which models are compatible.

After watching a ton of youtube videos and doing a bunch of research (plus talking with one of the guys that graded our test) I went with the Yaesu FTM-400XDR... it's not cheap, but you can broadcast APRS and then transmit voice on another frequency without needing to change channels. It also has a GPS module included, big color touch screen so sending and reading messages is easier, and the faceplate is detachable (which was one of the requirements for me, it makes mounting a whole lot easier).

I'm planning on putting the head in the center console and mounting the faceplate with a RAM mount.

Don't quote me, but I believe there is a way to get your Garmin to talk with your radio, just not totally sure which models are compatible.

After watching a ton of youtube videos and doing a bunch of research (plus talking with one of the guys that graded our test) I went with the Yaesu FTM-400XDR... it's not cheap, but you can broadcast APRS and then transmit voice on another frequency without needing to change channels. It also has a GPS module included, big color touch screen so sending and reading messages is easier, and the faceplate is detachable (which was one of the requirements for me, it makes mounting a whole lot easier).

I'm planning on putting the head in the center console and mounting the faceplate with a RAM mount.
That Yaesu FTM-400XDR looks really nice! Yeah usually I do a ton of research and watch a ton of YouTube reviews on things like this as well. I have several overlapping projects (rear bumper, radiator, starter) with my 200 right now so I’ve been all out of research time and all outta money for this one. For now I really don’t know what my exact needs or interest will be for this hobby, so I think just something simple, reliable, rough, and affordable is where I want to start. Once I’m up and fluent in using it I’ll have a better idea if I really need more.

I'd suggest getting a radio and get started. Decide later how much you want to geek out with special features that you decide you need.

Ham is a pretty deep hole as a hobby.

The radio in my 100 is definitely more radio than I need. It had some cool features that I thought I'd make more use of, but that really hasn't been the case. Maybe down the road I'll use them, but I haven't yet in almost two years that I've had it.

I'd suggest getting a radio and get started. Decide later how much you want to geek out with special features that you decide you need.

Ham is a pretty deep hole as a hobby.

The radio in my 100 is definitely more radio than I need. It had some cool features that I thought I'd make more use of, but that really hasn't been the case. Maybe down the road I'll use them, but I haven't yet in almost two years that I've had it.
Yeah that’s exactly what I’m thinking too. I heard you talking about this on the Kofa trip and it stuck in my head. Sometimes I really value simple reliable things without all the bells and whistles. You have a photo of where/how you had it mounted in your 100? That’s the only part I’m a bit lost with no detachable faceplate where would be good to mount?

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m thinking too. I heard you talking about this on the Kofa trip and it stuck in my head. Sometimes I really value simple reliable things without all the bells and whistles. You have a photo of where/how you had it mounted in your 100? That’s the only part I’m a bit lost with no detachable faceplate where would be good to mount?

I had that radio in my 80. I was able to fit it into one of the din slots.

Not sure where you'd put it in a 200. That's the big convenience of a detachable faceplate.

I posted something on the 200 forum to see if anybody has any mounting ideas. One person responded so far and he as well went with the FTM-400XDR. Any middle ground recommendations a bit more wallet friendly than the FTM-400XDR? something with a detachable faceplate but not as fully loaded. I'll keep asking around on the mounting options

I posted something on the 200 forum to see if anybody has any mounting ideas. One person responded so far and he as well went with the FTM-400XDR. Any middle ground recommendations a bit more wallet friendly than the FTM-400XDR? something with a detachable faceplate but not as fully loaded. I'll keep asking around on the mounting options

Hmm, the FTM-100DR is about 100 bucks cheaper, that will probably be the most wallet friendly around that has the detachable face plate. Their are some ICOM options, but those don't directly support APRS.

Hmm, the FTM-100DR is about 100 bucks cheaper, that will probably be the most wallet friendly around that has the detachable face plate. Their are some ICOM options, but those don't directly support APRS.
Thanks man, I'll look that model up. another guy on the 200 forum just responded. He as well did the detachable faceplate down on the ashtray (pic attached). this looks like the only way to go from what i've seen so far. I like this idea as it wouldnt interfere with my iPad i use for gaia. Not sure what model he has but I'll ask

IMG_5387.JPG

darn it @Somebodyelse5, now you got me watching youtube reviews on that Yaesu FTM-400DR/XDR :mad:. This is why i was trying to avoid researching radios 💰💰💰

I'm REALLY good at helping people spend money :) I ordered mine from DXengineering with a DMN-NR770HB ant and the DMN-K412S mount that comes with the 13.5ft of cable (NMO one side, PL-259 on the other). But I think to use that mount on the rear hatch you'll need closer 20 ft of cable. I am still deciding if I will mount on the rear hatch or on the hood with one of the massive metal 100 series mounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom