Ham Swap Meet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
On the way home today I listened to a radio net on the Mt Taylor repeater. Busy morning with lots of folks calling in. Anyway, there was a QST of a swap meet at Del Norte HS on April 26. I haven't had a chance to look up any details, but thought I would bring it up.

Last edited:
On the way home today I listened to a radio net on the Mt Taylor repeater. Busy morning with lots of folks calling in. Anyway, there was a QST of a swap meet at Del Norte HS on April 29. I haven't had a chance to look up any details, but thought I would bring it up.

The other detail would be get there early...

We need to bring up some Ham business at the meeting, which is in a couple of weeks.

Anything specific Steve?

I have been looking at Hams lately and noticed that handheld can be had for $130. I think that it would benefit the club greatly in emergency situations to have a handheld. I know the operator must be licensed, but it would be a great thing to have in the community tool bag.

I have been looking at Hams lately and noticed that handheld can be had for $130.

I think Ron bought an HT as his first rig and I know that Kevin (K5ODO) bought a HT. I am thinking about the 'submersible' Yaesu VX-170 ($117 new from Ham City) Welcome to Yaesu.com

The VX-150 is $110 and until 4/30 they are including a 2nd NiCad battery. Both radios are 5W 2M only rigs and get good reviews though they are larger than the more expensive HTs like the VX-7R.

-Mike-

Last edited:
The VX-150 is $110 and until 4/30 they are including a 2nd NiCad battery. Both radios are 5W 2M only rigs and get good reviews though they are larger than the more expensive HTs like the VX-7R.

-Mike-

Would that be a 2nd NiMH?
Sounds like a really good deal. I've never even used the uhf side of my radio - 2m is plenty.

As far as subjects, maybe purchasing a small handheld for runs, and getting access to the ham to telephone interface for $30 per year. Anything else like that too.

Last edited:
I've never even used the uhf side of my radio - 2m is plenty.

I've felt the same way with occasional exceptions. There are a few repeaters in Baja, with one on top of the Sierra San Pedro Martir. The repeater on SSPM is 70cm. It should have great coverage.

Would that be a 2nd NiMH?

No, I don't think so. The VX-150 comes with a NiCad (700 mAh) and the NiCad 'trickle' charger. Until 30-Apr the VX-150 will come with a 2nd NiCad in the package. Yaesu is phasing out the VX-150 which has been replaced with the VX-170. The VX-170 comes with a NiMH (1400 mAh).

The hamcity.com web site is down right now. I think I broke it. :frown:

-Mike-

I think I saw the VX-170 for $119 - personally I'd take the NiMH over the NiCad. I didn't even know they made NiCad batteries anymore. They might be hard to find as replacements soon. My old cordless phone used a NiCad - I replaced it with the NiMH of the same physical size and it's worked for over a year now...

I think I saw the VX-170 for $119 .

As I posted above, the VX-170 is $117 at Hamcity. That is the HT that I am considering though I have a shot at a used VX-6R and a couple of FT-530s. If those don't pan out today then I will probably go with a new VX-170.

There are NiMH batteries available for the VX-150 but all of them (for any radio!) are expensive... basically 1/2 the cost of the complete rig!

Example: The NiMH battery for the VX-150 (1500 mAh) is $47.
For $110 you get 2 batteries (albeit NiCad @ ~$35ea), a 110v charger, and the VX-150 radio... Pretty good deal really.

-Mike-

Last edited:
There are NiMH batteries available for the VX-150 but all of them (for any radio!) are expensive... basically 1/2 the cost of the complete rig!

-Mike-

The problem with NiCad's is they are persnickety - they develop a "memory" so if you don't discharge them to the right level they lose their storage capacity - which means you can't just leave them on a trickle charger or charge them after every use, nor can you completely discharge them. NiMH's not only have much more capacity, they're more resilient as well.

Hamcity.com is back up. I just ordered a VX-170 and the 6-AA Battery insert. I figure the battery insert will be good for emergencies...

Hamcity.com is back up. I just ordered a VX-170 and the 6-AA Battery insert. I figure the battery insert will be good for emergencies...

Run AA NiMH. I take a 12V charger with me camping and just charge as needed. Duracell are good. Energizer suck.

I'm wondering if I can charge AA NiMH with the stock 110 charger. The factory battery is a NiMH, which is also 6 in series...

You can dl the manual from the Yaesu web site.

I have read several reports that say you cannot use the radio's built-in charger when you are using the "AA-pack". I do not know if that applies to the VX-170.

Seems the issue is that the built-in radio chargers will not over-charge a standard battery pack but the built-in charger does not stop charging when you put on a "AA-pack" (hope that makes sense...)

Jon's method seems the safest. Take an external charger for the AA-NiMH batteries and charge them outside of the radio.

-Mike-

Last edited:
I know the operator must be licensed, but it would be a great thing to have in the community tool bag.

Both radios are 5W 2M only rigs and get good reviews though they are larger than the more expensive HTs like the VX-7R.

HT's are handy, no doubt. But, they are only 5W, compared to 50W or 65W for a mobile unit. I'm not sure they would be too useful in an emergency unless you were within range of a repeater. But then, the mobile would be too. It isn't often we need to communicate when we are outside our vehicles.

I seem to recall that with the right equipment it was possible to use a mobile station as a repeater with a HT. I think you need a dual-band radio with cross-band repeat capability. The FT-8800 comes to mind. Mike, you know anything about this?

da'Rat

I think you need a dual-band radio with cross-band repeat capability. The FT-8800 comes to mind. Mike, you know anything about this?

I know enough about it to get the details wrong. :D

Basically, you would need not only a dual band radio but one with dual radios (my 7800 is dual band; the 8800 is dual radios). Basically you would tune one section of your mobile rig to a 2M repeater and the other side of the rig to a simplex 70cm simplex frequency. You would tune your HT (handheld transceiver) to the same 70cm simplex frequency and set the rig up to be a repeater (your mobile) going into a larger repeater (e.g. Megalink.)

This setup would enable you to use a 5W HT while hiking, backpacking, hunting, or whatever and you would have coverage over hundreds of miles (via Megalink) as long as you stayed within range (30 miles ?) of your mobile rig.

I have heard this described a few times; however, I have not heard anyone claim they actually got this to work and told a story on how it helped them in some way. I also have not searched out these stories because my mobile won't do this and there is already way more for me to learn before I get to things that are just 'interesting.'

That being said, I am very interested in APRS and someday I will have this working in my truck.

-Mike-

I just noticed this was the weekend before CM. I work that weekend. Drat.

I just noticed this was the weekend before CM. I work that weekend. Drat.

What time do you have to be at work? Go before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom