HAM Day: Help Bart Put a Lift on His 62 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dear CLCCers,

I have a new Old Man Emu lift on the way to Iron Pig Off Road as we speak, and I would love all the help I can get to put it on.

Tom Thornton has graciously allowed me to use his shop to install it. I plan on buying some burgers and beer, so please chime in below so I can get some sort of head count.

Where: Tom Thornton's Rockin' Cruiser Cave in Brentsville, Virginia.
Date: Saturday, April 16, 2011
Time: 9:00 a.m.

Best,

Bart

no ipa

I'm in ,but none of that ipa stuff you call beer. Keep spraying those bolts or Tom will get the cut off wheel out and its hard to stop him once he gets to cutting. Any tools you can think of that you don't have ? This is a fun project .
:bounce:
Want to buy some used 33's ?

If you and Tom don't mind me bringing along my 4 year old son, I can help. Or at least offer a little guidance since i just finished up this install myself.

I just sent a note to Cam to see if he could cut me some square tubing so I could realign my brake proportioning system. I have a noticeable loss in braking power after installing the lift (even before putting on the 33's). I think i'm probably getting little assistance from the rear brakes and am hoping this will help a little. See here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/107519-fj62-sway-bar-lspv-spacer-w-lift.html

Dang! I'm planning to be in Uwharrie with the Isuzu gang that weekend.

Hey, I may bring Big Red. Make sure you have an acetylene torch and slide hammer handy if your bushings are really old.

I'm in ,but none of that ipa stuff you call beer. Keep spraying those bolts or Tom will get the cut off wheel out and its hard to stop him once he gets to cutting. Any tools you can think of that you don't have ? This is a fun project .
:bounce:
Want to buy some used 33's ?

Mmmmm, hops. You don't know what you're missing. I've already started hitting the bolts. If they are not loose on 4/16, no amount of penetrating oil will help. I think I have the tools needed. Might need to borrow and extra set of jack stands from Tom. We'll see. I'll buy the 33s off of your 40 :)

If you and Tom don't mind me bringing along my 4 year old son, I can help. Or at least offer a little guidance since i just finished up this install myself.

Sure, bring the knowledge and the son.

Dang! I'm planning to be in Uwharrie with the Isuzu gang that weekend.

Boo. :flipoff2:

I'm in. May as well swap in Steve's locked axle under there too.

I believe that locker is already spoken for. I don't feel like lifting his axles again anyway.

Hey, I may bring Big Red. Make sure you have an acetylene torch and slide hammer handy if your bushings are really old.

I don't, so I think we may have to rely on muscle. Keeping my fingers crossed.

No need for that. If your spring pins are rusted in place to the bushings, just put a 4 inch cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. Poof, pin cut. You are installing new spring pins all around, aren't you?

In my opinion, OME has the best greaseable spring pins out there.

If you can get them, I'd suggest the 6 ton jack stands, as they are taller and will get your frame up high enough for suspension work. Best of luck.

No need for that. If your spring pins are rusted in place to the bushings, just put a 4 inch cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. Poof, pin cut. You are installing new spring pins all around, aren't you?

Dan, I kept my old pins. After consultation, the greasable ones weren't as appealing. YMMV.

I'll have to see if my sm465 adapter come in or my high steer kit comes. I'll be working on my junk. But I'll try to make it.

Chris

Hey Chris ,I had an idea once weapons of mass destruction were mentioned that would get your attention. The oxy/acetelene is almost full and I've got an assortment of cutoff wheels. :hillbilly:

Hey,

I have an 10:30am commitment back in Fairfax, so I won't be very useful for only 30-45 min or so before I'd need to head back.

I see jackstands mentioned above. I did just get some of the 12 ton ones (since they're taller) so if you need those, let me know and I can bring to the meeting on Wednesday.

-Fernando

big red

I've never even seen BIG RED, does it really exsist ?

Hey,

I have an 10:30am commitment back in Fairfax, so I won't be very useful for only 30-45 min or so before I'd need to head back.

I see jackstands mentioned above. I did just get some of the 12 ton ones (since they're taller) so if you need those, let me know and I can bring to the meeting on Wednesday.

-Fernando

Thanks Fernando, but I have some nice tall ones. I appreciate it. See you tonight.

is it cool if i wanted to come and watch. I dont have a lot of skill, but i could at least lend some muscle. i would love to learn a thing or two.

Dude, we all are just going to watch, watch Bart work his a$$ off, then drink his beer and eat his food. Thats what makes it so much fun.
:D

Perfect

Dude, we all are just going to watch, watch Bart work his a$$ off, then drink his beer and eat his food. Thats what makes it so much fun.
:D

soup-nazi_320.jpg

No beer for Steve!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom