Halogen vs. LEDs on top (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to decide what to run up top on my Rig with a Gobi Stealth rack. The easy answer are some PIAA 2100 halogens that seemed to be spected for the front of the rack. There are also some Rigid LED’s that would fit also. For some reason I’m digging the round look of the PIAA 520s but not sure if there is a simple way to attach them on the Gobi rack. If halogens aren’t worth the trouble it will be a mute point. Any thoughts?

Some of it is personal choice for the look you're after. These days GOOD LEDs will be as bright and through light as far as halogens.

When it comes to roof lights, you want to be shooting light way down the path so that you don't overrun your lights when bombing down a gravel road. So regardless of the source of the light, be sure to find ones tuned (focal and glass) for driver or spot/pencil.

As for Halogens they will be a larger electrical draw and the light is more yellow (warm). They can put out a lot of lumens. LEDs have a very low draw and the light is much whiter which can seem brighter but may not project as far. Regardless of light source get ones with high quality glass and reflectors. Poor glass and reflectors causes shadows and dark areas on the fringes which will cause eye fatigue after driving for awhile. If you want to see some good lights (HID and LEDs check out baja design)

The other thing to consider, for trails where you are driving slower working through stuff, good flood lights are a better choice. Floods will create a well light wide area so you can see everything that is coming up or your working through. Flood lights work best mounted on the bumper since if they are on the roof, they will cause a glare off the hood and not get to what is right in front of your wheels to help you and your spotter.

I have both roof lights (2 spot, 2 driving) and 2 floods on the bumper. nine times out of ten, I only use the bumper flood lights. The roof lights where great when we went through the Baja, but most of the local trails i run at night are twists and turns and the roof light's aren't all that helpful... but they do light up the trees nicely :)

whatever way you decide to go. This video will help with the install. Bumper and no drill roof top light install for FJ Cruiser

more details, diagrams and ideas available at Installing rooftop off,road lights on FJ Cruiser

Some of it is personal choice for the look you're after. These days GOOD LEDs will be as bright and through light as far as halogens.

When it comes to roof lights, you want to be shooting light way down the path so that you don't overrun your lights when bombing down a gravel road. So regardless of the source of the light, be sure to find ones tuned (focal and glass) for driver or spot/pencil.

As for Halogens they will be a larger electrical draw and the light is more yellow (warm). They can put out a lot of lumens. LEDs have a very low draw and the light is much whiter which can seem brighter but may not project as far. Regardless of light source get ones with high quality glass and reflectors. Poor glass and reflectors causes shadows and dark areas on the fringes which will cause eye fatigue after driving for awhile. If you want to see some good lights (HID and LEDs check out baja design)

The other thing to consider, for trails where you are driving slower working through stuff, good flood lights are a better choice. Floods will create a well light wide area so you can see everything that is coming up or your working through. Flood lights work best mounted on the bumper since if they are on the roof, they will cause a glare off the hood and not get to what is right in front of your wheels to help you and your spotter.

I have both roof lights (2 spot, 2 driving) and 2 floods on the bumper. nine times out of ten, I only use the bumper flood lights. The roof lights where great when we went through the Baja, but most of the local trails i run at night are twists and turns and the roof light's aren't all that helpful... but they do light up the trees nicely :)

whatever way you decide to go. This video will help with the install. Bumper and no drill roof top light install for FJ Cruiser

more details, diagrams and ideas available at Installing rooftop off,road lights on FJ Cruiser

Thanks for all the great info. I'm running 30" Rigid LED on my bull bar that definitely lights up the road so I am looking for a source that I won't overrun on the long straighter runs. The PIAA 520 Rounds seem to be right along those lines and aesthetically I think they look better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom