1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half way through my first birf job

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by jts560, Feb 25, 2007.

1. jts560

jts560

Well, after putting it off for a couple years I finally got around to rebuilding my knuckles. I'm a Florida boy but my truck is from the north, it seems like every damn nut and bolt is rusted. I've got everything dissassembled to the axle housing, just need to clean up all the parts and put it back together with new seals and bearings. It came apart without to much hassle, except the cone washers on the top of the knuckles on both sides. Funny how everyone says that the cone washers that hold the free wheel hub on are the toughest, not in my case. What a royal pain in the ass those were, luckily my neighbor is a heavy equipment mechanic, he came over and helped me beat, pry, beat, wedge, beat, jar and beat them loose, only broke one hand sledge. **** those things. He said that those were the most stubborn fasteners he has ever seen, and he has worked on everything from oil rigs to bulldozers. Looking forward to putting everything back together and getting the cruiser back on the road, with a liberal coating of anti-seize on the $@&*# cone washers.

2. ranger

ranger

I've had some that were a little stubborn, but usually a couple of wacks with a hammer, then tap a scribe in the slot on the cone washers to spread it out a little allows them to come right out.

3. jts560

jts560

One more thing, my brake line bracket was riveted to the dust shield. I will definitely be drilling those out and replacing them with bolts.

Oh, and the axle rebuild DVD makes it look WAAAY to easy.:D Did I mention that cone washers suck balls?

4. jts560

jts560

These were really stuck on the studs, and when I say "stuck" I mean it in the strongest sense of the word.

5. land crusher

land crusher Morgen, morgen nur nicht heute...

Media:
    Albums:
    My cone washers popped right off using the brass drift method. I must be lucky, cuz I've heard others with stories like yours.

Anyhow, who puts out this DVD? Never heard of it.

6. nicholastheczar

nicholastheczar

I just finished my front axle rebuild and had pretty good luck. The bolt that holds the steering arm to the tie rod end needed a bunch of PB and a lot of attention.

7. chicago

chicago

Media:
    Albums:
    Hey bro!!
    I feel your pain with the cone washers on the top of the knuckle!
    It took me about 1.5 hours to get mine out on one side!
    I was trying to be all :princess: about it, finally, I got a small screw driver into the slot on the cone washer and was eventually able to work it free.
    They do suck ass!

Chicago

8. jts560

jts560

A guy in the 80's section put the DVD together, i'll see if i can dig the info up.

9. jts560

jts560