Hale Creek Shelter Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If anybody can bring this stuff, please let me know.

Pails for stain,
brushes for stain,
plate tamper,
chaps for chainsaw
10' ladder,
24' ladder,
circular saw with metal cutting blade,
cordless impact.

I can bring chaps and a couple of 5 gallon pails
one generator honda 1800 or the 5000 china diesel( it is becoming a real bitch) lately
chain saw
sledge hammer
2 shovels
wire feed welder Lincoln 140

If I am not there friday evening, I will be there sat morning.

I'm sorry I can't make it. Pulled my back yesterday at work. I need to rest it as it is important for my job.

I just got back. What a great day! Lots of great people and good progress. I can't make it out Sunday but if anyone is interested, they could use all the help to get 'er done. It's a big project. There are a couple of picnic tables to go up to Sunrise too.

Oh yeah, to top my awesome day off, I was briefely detained (LC's don't get st**k) up the 'hard way' out (I came in the 'easy way'). Yes, it's so embarrassing :eek:. Jeff told me there was this little rock garden and 'whoop whoop' it's no big deal he said..... :doh:

So I take the right line instead of the left one through it and CRUNCH, I'm not moving forward or backward and leaning to the left. Both right wheels in the air (if I had any blasted tire bigger than those pathetic 29's I'm sure I would have been on solid ground:bang:).

No matter, I was jammed between two large rocks and no lockers; I even exited the truck while it was in gear and no brake just to see those two wheels spinning for themselves as I couldn't believe it!

Fearing that Mat would be along soon with his camera, I had to act fast... (no way I'm taking the "embarassing pictures from Hale award" away from Mat! :D)

Thank goodness I have a winch. And good thing I decided to bring my recovery box with me today. Pull out the winch remote, the tree saver strap; hook up and that 25 year-old winch just yanked me out no problem. With no spotter, I had to steer the truck and run the winch while walking beside it. Minutes later, I'm roaring back up the hill, which incidentally was pretty 'easy'.

15 minutes later I see a Forerunner on the FSR with only a front left rim, no tire. I stop; they had a flat 50km ago! And the tire finally shredded to pieces. Yup, no spare. Gave them some water and they had phoned for a tow; 30 seconds after I left the tow truck passed me.

I'll let Mat and Kim post the photos and more detailed writeup on the Shelter build.

What a great day! Now time for a :beer:

Last edited:
Nice. I had hoped to have helped a bit this weekend as I'm a user of Hale, but it is not to pass this time.

Rob, get some bigger boots would ya! LOL. I say that totally in jest. Have they held you back at all for what you want to do in that truck?

gb

First time today. But yeah, I'm definitely getting bigger boots.

I'm sure they will be there until dark (8pm)

Well , I must of been the only one not enjoying myself at Hale or on the way . All of the Kamakazie ATVers , all of the beer cans on the road on the way in , and the rude drivers and the dust.

Trying to smile on my way down the hill into hale. I parked and looked around , WOW all the people and equipment. Looked to find the boss (Kim) when dad came and said you gotta see this. ...........! I heard both back tires hissing on the BJ 74 and one on the trailer......... Had to turn around and go back up the hill . After resetting both beed on the back tires I had 5 nails in one and 4 on the other but only 8 plugs. I dragged the MBT home with one flat . Anyhow With all the plugs in the Coopers they are junk now.

And I didnt even get a chance to help. Sorry guys!

Last edited:
i won't be going today :doh:

I forgot about the mother-in-law chores

wll they be finished the shelter today ?
whats going on mid week or next weekend if anything ,
i may be off most of the week and wouldn't mind helping out.

:meh:

I heard both back tires hissing on the BJ 74 and one on the trailer......... Had to turn around and go back up the hill . After resetting both beed on the back tires I had 5 nails in one and 4 on the other but only 8 plugs. I dragged the MBT home with one flat . Anyhow With all the plugs in the Coopers they are junk now.

That really sucks. I've seen dumps of nails on trails before, some from idiots burning pallets on the road and others from fxxx tards dumping nails on purpose.

It's huge. I, and everyone else that was there, are totally exhausted.

The roof was finished about 8 tonight.
P1030627.jpg
P1030632.jpg
P1030625.jpg

Man I wish I could have stayed to see it done. So much work involved each day. Great job to all the volunteers!

Was great to get to know some of the guys in the club better. That shelter is an impressive sight to say the least. As we started putting up the beams on Saturday you could tell most in involved were in awe of the size of this thing. Everything is big, the fire pit is made out of 3/8th plate even the hood is 3/16th. All the wood beams have re bar in them to keep people from cutting it up.

Its going to be a great place to go in the winter now.

Did they have time to get the out house pit dug with the excavator? Any "trail Maintenance" done?

Oh yeah, to top my awesome day off, I was briefely detained (LC's don't get st**k) up the 'hard way' out (I came in the 'easy way'). Yes, it's so embarrassing :eek:. Jeff told me there was this little rock garden and 'whoop whoop' it's no big deal he said..... :doh:

So I take the right line instead of the left one through it and CRUNCH, I'm not moving forward or backward and leaning to the left. Both right wheels in the air (if I had any blasted tire bigger than those pathetic 29's I'm sure I would have been on solid ground:bang:).

No matter, I was jammed between two large rocks and no lockers; I even exited the truck while it was in gear and no brake just to see those two wheels spinning for themselves as I couldn't believe it!

Fearing that Mat would be along soon with his camera, I had to act fast... (no way I'm taking the "embarassing pictures from Hale award" away from Mat! :D)

Thank goodness I have a winch. And good thing I decided to bring my recovery box with me today. Pull out the winch remote, the tree saver strap; hook up and that 25 year-old winch just yanked me out no problem. With no spotter, I had to steer the truck and run the winch while walking beside it. Minutes later, I'm roaring back up the hill, which incidentally was pretty 'easy'.

15 minutes later I see a Forerunner on the FSR with only a front left rim, no tire. I stop; they had a flat 50km ago! And the tire finally shredded to pieces. Yup, no spare. Gave them some water and they had phoned for a tow; 30 seconds after I left the tow truck passed me.

I'll let Mat and Kim post the photos and more detailed writeup on the Shelter build.

What a great day! Now time for a :beer:

HAHA I got detained there as well. I was pulled off to the left to let a truck by coming down. Go to move again.......nothing......back up......try again again nothing. Change line.....grind......damn it on rock good now.

I too had that panicked fear that Matt with his camera was running up the trail.

I engaged the front locker and got thought ( rear one is not working right now). I have no excuse for getting detained there though lol.

Did they have time to get the out house pit dug with the excavator? Any "trail Maintenance" done?

Nope to both, the ring is there but I'm guessing we'll be digging it by hand.
Maybe we should bring some dynamite for trail maintenance.
Kim, Mat, Robert, and Brent (maybe more) stayed up today as well. They still need to get a couple of picnic tables up to Sunrise. Was very cool seeing the fire burning in the stove, whilst eating steak and potatoes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom