Hail damage totaled my 01 LC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe...Adjuster just left and said he thinks it needs a new hood and roof. The passenger side is repairable. He said he doesn't know much about Cruisers and how expensive it will be to repair but expects insurance to "total" it.

What do you all recommend I do? NADA value is around 6K (which clearly isn't the true value of the truck.) I have a $1000 deductible.

2001 with 175K

Maybe...Adjuster just left and said he thinks it needs a new hood and roof. The passenger side is repairable. He said he doesn't know much about Cruisers and how expensive it will be to repair but expects insurance to "total" it.

What do you all recommend I do? NADA value is around 6K (which clearly isn't the true value of the truck.) I have a $1000 deductible.

2001 with 175K

Buy it back and keep it as a weekend trail rig

You can negotiate the totaled out price with them, start researching the values of these on various sites and compile a list.

I'd get the check from the insurance, and then buy back the truck, just drive around with golf ball dents, it actually improve gas mileage, Myth Busters proved it.

Dimpled-car.jpg

Post some pics?

I agree, buy it back and maybe replace the hood for aesthetics. Who cares about the appearance of the roof? Use the cash to get a dissent rack and that’s all I’d ever see up there. Good luck with the deal whatever you decide.

I agree, buy it back and maybe replace the hood for aesthetics. Who cares about the appearance of the roof? Use the cash to get a dissent rack and that’s all I’d ever see up there. Good luck with the deal whatever you decide.
this is my plan. Just hope I get enough out of it to replace the hood and maybe get some new leather for front seats...
I will post again when I get the final word from insurance company.

Get comparable prices from ads on auto trader and cars.com so that you have some material to use in negotiations. Also get an estimate from a Toyota dealer and maybe an independent body shop. Help your cause with knowledge. Also do not let them do a salvage title. It makes it hard to insure

Get comparable prices from ads on auto trader and cars.com so that you have some material to use in negotiations. Also get an estimate from a Toyota dealer and maybe an independent body shop. Help your cause with knowledge. Also do not let them do a salvage title. It makes it hard to insure
I just looked that up and Oklahoma does not require a salvage title for hail damage. Only damage that effects roadworthiness.

Never take the first or second offer from insurance company.
How do I negotiate? Just know how much these are going for? What they are worth in todays market?

Give us some pics of the damage and general condition. Prices vary widely with market, condition and mods.

I just looked that up and Oklahoma does not require a salvage title for hail damage. Only damage that effects roadworthiness.
Just because Oklahoma doesn’t require a salvage title doesn’t mean the insurance guy based in New Jersey or California or whatever won’t salvage it anyway because that’s their general practice.

Give us some pics of the damage and general condition. Prices vary widely with market, condition and mods.
I will get pics some tomorrow. Thanks for offering to help.

Just because Oklahoma doesn’t require a salvage title doesn’t mean the insurance guy based in New Jersey or California or whatever won’t salvage it anyway because that’s their general practice.
I guess I thought the insurance was based on the title. I will dig a little deeper.

How do I negotiate? Just know how much these are going for? What they are worth in todays market?

Look up clean examples for sale similar to your year or newer on autotrader. Show them the list and prices and demand the top of the list pricing because your vehicle was above average ;).

I've had people in the industry say that most insurance agents/adjusters are marked down as a performance metric for letting claims sit open too long. Time is on your side. Demand a figure high enough to make you whole and wait until you get it.

Let me help you out here
Get 2 or 3 body shop estimates for repairs. These are going to be a basis for negotiations. Average the estimates and here is the goal for you. Plus some money for a rental car and diminished value if your state allows that.

Value of your Land Cruiser. go to Auto trader and Craigslist and Cars.com. Find 3 or 4 cars and print off the ads find comparable mileage and condition to your car. Any extras or great maintenance be prepared to provide receipts for to add to the value. Be realistic the parts on your car are used a bumper installed 3 years ago has less value than one installed last week.

Now that you have an estimate for repairs and a value of the Land cruiser look at 75-85% of the Land Cruiser value. If the repairs are over that number insurance will want to total it. This varies a little depending on the company. Your goal since you like the truck is to be under that number for repair cost. Be aware they can put it in the body shop with a 60% estimate and still come back with wanting to total the car due to hidden damages or higher than expected parts cost.

Since this is your car and you like it Call a Paintless dent removal (PDR) guy. Get an estimate from him and tell him you are paying the bill in cash. Talk to 2 or 3 of those guys or find the guy the dealerships use. You can maybe get most of the dents fixed fairly cheap going this route. Very few insurance companies go this route. Keep this in your pocket and don't share it with the insurance .

It is very important Do not let the insurance company total the truck if you want to keep it. A lot of insurance companies will not cover a salvage or totaled truck or will only do minimum coverage. They do not want to have to total a truck twice.

I used to handle some accident stuff for my former employer a trucking company. Any questions just ask.

Look up clean examples for sale similar to your year or newer on autotrader. Show them the list and prices and demand the top of the list pricing because your vehicle was above average ;).

I've had people in the industry say that most insurance agents/adjusters are marked down as a performance metric for letting claims sit open too long. Time is on your side. Demand a figure high enough to make you whole and wait until you get it.
This exactly

I guess I thought the insurance was based on the title. I will dig a little deeper.

If the title is salvage some companies will not insure it and some will only do state minimums. I have a friend who owns a junkyard he has just about stopped selling rebuildable wrecks due to people being unable to insure them here in Ga. At one time he was selling 25-40 rebuildable cars a week. He is down to almost zero. Now anything he sells has a good title. Not all wrecks and totals are salvage titled. Having a clear title is a much happier position to be in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom