Hail Damage... Fix or Total? On the fence... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a '92 that got some hail damage a few weeks ago and I finally have all the information that I need to be able to make a decision on whether to have it repaired or totaled. I'm looking for a little advice from the outside to make sure I'm not making a silly or emotional decision. I really like the truck, but I've had it for less than a year so I'm not necessarily emotionally attached to it...or if I am I haven't realized it yet. Ultimately, I am a numbers guy and I am very strategic with my vehicles in regards to using them as an investment. I am OK with spending money here and there, but funding definitely has its limits--or at least that's what my wife tells me.

Details about the truck:

Good

• 1992 with desmogged 3FE
  • Only 125,000 miles
  • Pretty well baselined (both axles rebuilt, upgraded to bigger brakes, cooling system totally new, no oil leaks whatsoever)
  • 2" TJM lift with Bilstein shocks
  • Interior is 9/10, maybe even 9.5/10. It's incredibly nice.
  • 4Runner wheels with brand new 295/75-16s
  • TJM T17 bumper
Bad
  • Some of the door bottom seams are rusting. Nothing in the outer shell yet, but the inner seam looks bad. I was planning to strip the doors down to treat/coat the rusty areas, then coat the bottom of the truck in Monstaliner. The PO slapped some rust treatment crap on the driver's side doors and it currently looks like crap.
  • Chassis has some corrosion. Nothing terrible in regards to the frame or structure, but some bolts are totally corroded and would be impossible to remove without breaking. At some point I would like to wire wheel and clean up the chassis and treat/repaint. Will be a horrible, tedious job.
  • Some rust in the DS floor pan area from sunroof/windshield leak. I have fixed the leaks and treated/coated the rust, but it's still there...
  • Small spot of surface rust starting to show up below the rear hatch glass.
  • No lockers since it's a '92
I have a total of $5,600 invested in the truck at this point. That includes purchase, shipping, maintenance, upgrades, etc. I got a pretty good deal on it and have done all the work myself. I have a list of other maintenance and upgrades that I would like to do to the truck that total up to about $2,000 (includes the Monstaliner mentioned above, some tune-up items, chassis clean up and rehab, etc.)

I have the truck insured for $7,500 with classic car insurance and $1,000 deductible. If the damage exceeds 75% of the value then they will total the vehicle. The initial PDR shop estimate and insurance adjuster estimate came in at $5,700 and $5,800, respectively, which is over the 75% mark (just barely). After discussing this with the shop, they would gladly do the repair for $5,600, which would be below the 75% mark. Insurance agreed to pay that amount, but they also left open the option for me to total the vehicle, with or without a buyback.

So, here are a few of my options:

Option #1
Fix the truck. PDR shop said they would cover my deductible which is a very nice perk. No money out of pocket, truck comes back straight, just like nothing ever happened.

Option #2
Total it. Get a check for $6,500, try to find another Land Cruiser. It will be hard to find another 80 series, even a 91-92, that I can get back to where I am with the current one for $6,500.

Option #3
Total it, buy it back from insurance. Insurance told me the buyback price is $2,600. So, I'd get the truck and $3,900. Insurance company said I would not have to get a salvage title based on the age/value of the vehicle. Insurance company would still give me full coverage but at a lesser value unless I got the damage repaired. If I go this route, I would probably only have the hood hail damage repaired (approx. $1,000 shop cost) and maybe the PS front fender ($300-400 shop cost). The other panels really aren't bad at all. The roof has some damage but you have to be about 7'-6" to be able to see the roof... That would leave me with about $2,500 to put towards more upgrades in the truck.

Option #4
Total it, buy it back from insurance. Buy another '91-92 in the $4,000 range. Transfer good parts from old truck to new truck (lift, interior, etc.). Part out and/or sell old truck. This seems like a ton of time/work and would require a lot of space. My wife probably wouldn't be too keen on the idea, but I could probably convince her to get over it if I had some compelling reasons...

So, does anyone have any words of wisdom? Do you think that $2,600 buyback price is reasonable and/or negotiable?

Thanks for the help!

Photos of the truck, just for reference...

IMG_3320 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_3818 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

IMG_8680 by Ben Schmitt, on Flickr

I am sure I would be disappointed but it's not the worst thing that could have happened to mine. I'd leave the dents and seal the paint if any cracked.

Great time for a BEDLINER PAINT JOB!

I suppose I should clarify my intent/goals for the truck... It's sort of a DD, but not my only option for a DD. I have a newer pickup that shares DD duty with the LC.

I don't mind bedliner on the lower portion of the truck, but bedliner covering the whole truck isn't for me. It's not a rock crawler and I won't be beating it up offroad. My "build" intent is somewhere between restoration and expedition type of accessories--long road trips, car camping, easy trails, beach duty, etc.

I want to put a hood blackout decal (Land Cruiser FJ80 Hood Blackout) on the truck so I don't want to leave the hail damage on the hood. The rest of it wouldn't bother me too much, though...

Option 3.

My 80 has been totalled twice, and I enjoy it all the more for it :hillbilly: Are you really that concerned about aesthetics to let hail keep you from enjoying a perfectly good 80? Sheesh. Drive dented 80, pocket $4,000 or take a vacation or something.

Option #3 or #1.

One option not listed is to buy a "dent puller kit" from Amazon and spend some quality time with your truck. No repaint required. Take the $5600, do it yourself, and spend the rest on upgrades.

Option 3 is best choice. trucks still too nice to toss.

Option 3

Option 3 all the way. Hoods are easy to find, and probably the most prominent part of the hail damage. Throw a GOBI or flat rack on the roof, no one will ever see that again. Then that really just leaves the fenders, which are also cheap, or even easy to fix.

These trucks are 25 years old, so who really cares if its a salvage or previous salvage title; especially for repaired hail damage. You don't need a loan for it, and can still insure the stuff you put on it. Plus, the truck has low miles and is mechanically sound. Take the free $3k and make that thing sweet.

Option 3 with a bunch of before and after photos to show it was only hail damage. If you won't need a salvage title this this one is a no brainer. I'd go with @BILT4ME 's suggestion to try pulling the dents on my own.

Option 3.

Thanks for the input, guys! :flipoff2: I'm intrigued by the 'do-it-yourself' PDR kits. It looks incredibly tedious, but if I can save a boatload of cash I'm up for the challenge. I'm trying to see if I could possibly take option #1, but instead of having the shop do it maybe I can take the $4,550 ($5,550 max repair cost less $1,000 deductible) and do a selective home repair job. However, I don't know if the insurance company will want to verify the repairs after the payout... I'm not sure how that works or what power they have to dictate whether a shop does it or I do it. However, I know my work won't be anywhere near the quality of this shop. It looks reallllllllllllly tedious on YouTube and Amazon reviews of the kits aren't necessarily stellar. I think I'd get burnt out if I had to do the entire vehicle. However, if I can take the $4,550 and just do the hood and maybe take care of a few other bigger dents then I'm game for that...

Last edited:
For not a lot of money, you can buy your own PDR glue pull tools and have at it. Just take your time. I'd recommend against a kit. I researched what pdr glue, puller, tapdown, line board, paddle, glue gun, tabs I wanted and bought them separately. Denttime, ultradent, and dentcraft are some of the pdr vendors. After viewing a number of how-to's, I got ok at it on my dings. It does take a lot of practice.

Last edited:
I tried taking pictures out in the sun but the lighting is too harsh. I'll try to get some in the garage this evening to show the damage. It's definitely not that bad at all... The hood is annoying but everything else is barely noticeable. Pretty amazing that the estimates were that high...

After talking with the shop and the insurance company and the comments here, I believe I'm going to have the insurance company send me a check for the repairs (approx. $4,550....$5,500 less the $1,000 deductible). I may go ahead and try fixing the hood myself, but if I am not happy with the results I'll have the shop do it for $1,000. That will leave me with about $3,550 to put into the truck. I'll likely take care of my 'To Do' list, and then I may end up with a 4x4Labs bumper kit. :flipoff2:

I'm in the same boat after having a tree fall on mine. It's a couple of smallish dents and a tweaked Prinsu roof rack as well as some scratches. I'm hoping to take the money and bedline it. Maybe even get some armor out of it if I get enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom