Had the 96 Landcruiser since its inception, but just got here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

96LandcruiserPJ

SILVER Star
Threads
32DA6BA4-7101-43D7-BB9C-0C449ACC8820.jpeg
DD486F94-970F-4483-B75A-23009E085AD5.jpeg
4EF0C617-6345-4D94-A17F-3F82EFF8933E.jpeg
3FB889A9-73DC-4954-BF62-9A0A41AF3901.jpeg
We have had this 96 FZJ80 since it had 8,000 miles (190,000 now). Both kids learned to drive in it - with a little wear to show for it. It sat for a few years with a cover in the backyard and I thought I would sell it, but was getting low balled. As a result, we are keeping it and I am getting some 295/75/16s as a Christmas Gift. We have a lot of PM to catch up on, but this forum has been spectacular in terms of helping with mods. This LC needs some basic work:

Tires: over 2 years old and cracking (new ones one the way)
Lockers: frozen - no action
Radiator: some leakage around the top
A/C: dead since around 2006
Drivers Seat: in a permanent recline position because of gear failure.
CD player - no good and kind of don’t care
Windshield washer fluid - ants got into the hoses during the down time and it was not salvageable.
Wiring hireness - replaced after mice ate through them and shorted it out - replaced with OEM wiring harness, but maybe the problem with the lockers.
Third row seats - still fully functional
Moon roof - fully functional, but all trim is cracked or falling off - no leaks
Front Bumper - damage from reckless driving habits
Engine - oil leaks from multiple sources (probably gaskets and seal that are old and unused)

Like all Landcruisers, this one is never dying. As soon as I get new tires on it, I will do a minimum baseline with fluids and lube.

Any thoughts on next steps with the seats? Radiator? Air Conditioning?

17B94C30-636E-4BBF-A076-6AC0E1F5FB5E.jpeg

Some guy in the I.E is parting out his rig in the classifieds (Parting Out - FZJ80 with tons of parts) , you might be able to get a hold of some of the bits and pieces you need. That being said, welcome to ih8mud. I look forward to your progress on fixing up the family's work horse.
Radiator, seats, AC in that order.

If you are going to do the radiator and possibly swap out the AC compressor you may as well leave the truck down for now and do a full front PM rather than taking it back apart later.

Just my .02 and the green ones NEVER die.

Radiator
Radiator Hoses
All top of motor hoses
Plugs
Wires
Rotor
Dizzy gasket (internal o-ring)
Dizzy cover gasket
Oil pump gasket
Front main seal
AC compressor
AC Drier
9011 Headlight Mod
Clean tuna can
Clean or replace air filter
New belts
Fan clutch?

Then once it's all back together you can leave that entire area untouched for a while and it should run cool and leak free with functional AC once charged.

Some guy in the I.E is parting out his rig in the classifieds (Parting Out - FZJ80 with tons of parts) , you might be able to get a hold of some of the bits and pieces you need. That being said, welcome to ih8mud. I look forward to your progress on fixing up the family's work horse.
Radiator, seats, AC in that order.

Thanks for the heads up. This is exactly what I was hoping for from this forum.

9BB6218C-3AB7-4338-B42B-A4851060FD95.jpeg
353C8ACA-8FD7-4CAD-82B9-F9C27D0838BC.jpeg
I got my new tires! We are prepared for the next steps. Thanks, Tony @ “The Shop” on State Colege in Anaheim for hooking me up. These are the Toyo 295/75/16 tires on a 100% original (180,000) suspension. No lift or other mods. The spare tire (barely) fits in the standard under mount location.

Last edited:
Aug 2019:

3 1/2" "J" OME shocks and springs

IMG_0818.jpg
IMG_0806.jpg

Looks good! I just put those exact tires on my truck yesterday. How are you liking them? Are they wearing well?View attachment 2110495

I totally love them. We have had them on road and freeway (at roughly 32psi) and on mud and rock (roughly 18 psi). Smooth sailing so far. When they were installed, they were inflated up to about 40psi and when I did the chalk test, it revealed that 32 psi is the winner for road driving. When I wear them out, I might just check out the 315 M/T because I can fit them everywhere except the spare tire location. I did the calculations (using Waze) and they screw up the speedometer by about 9%. No problems with rubbing or road noise.

OK - I got confirmation after Yotamasters testing...the CDL is functional and engaging in "L". Evidently all three differential detection switches are shot. So, the center diff is not sending a message to the dash, the ABS, and the rear diff, which is in turn not sending to the front diff. Problem solved.

Let's call it $635 parts and labor, including a servicing of the rear differential.

Bushings control arms....
IMG_1410.jpg
IMG_1409.jpg
IMG_1410.jpg
IMG_1411.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom