Had new key made (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I purchased my land cruiser it only came with 1 master key so I wanted to get a new one but didn't want to pay a ton of money for the dealership to get one or risk loosing it and having to replace the ECU. So of course I started reading on ih8mud about programming the key yourself. I found a key blank on Ebay Blank Key with fob for $29.50 and ordered it. I read some where that some people had problems with getting them cut at local places and not being able to use them. I have had issues with box stores cutting house keys and have them not work so I figured I'd call a more specialized car locksmith. I started calling around and the 1st place never answered and never called me back, 2nd place quoted me $105 to just cut the blank and the 3rd place quoted me $35 to cut the blank. So I mulled it over, not wanting to pay more to have it cut than the key itself. I ended up going to a local lock smith and asked if he could cut it and he did it in in literally 15 seconds for $5. Took the key hoping it would work and it did (thank god). Sat in my car with my phone and did the programming procedure to make it a new master key and it worked on the first try!
Then I got home and messed with trying to get the fobs and locks to work and had issues with doing it. Watched a video on YouTube Toyota Landcruiser 100 series 1998-2002 key fob programming that showed how do do it and it was the exact same procedure except instead of using the power lock switch he used the actual lock mechanism with the red on it (maybe that's what it meant in the original procedures) and it worked! So for $34.50 and about 5 minutes of work I was able to get a new master key made and programmed. Just wanted to thank the forum members on here and this website for being so awesome and having so much helpful information to make things like this cheap and doable.:cheers:

Thank you,

Bob

Last edited:
Good job. I did this with a 125 buck Toyota bought key. The dealer wanted another 100 on top of the key price to cut and program it. I was pissed and went down the street to the locksmith who cut it for $10. I programmed it in the parking lot following the same directions. Mr. Locksmith was shocked it worked. I just ordered another one that you posted.

Thanks guys. Yeah I was pretty irritated at how much some of the places wanted for getting keys cut and to program the key.

I've been wondering if these cheapo ebay shells were worth the time. Thanks for convincing me.

I didn't buy the original poster's EBay key find but I bought 2 key shells off EBay before Christmas for $3.33 each with free shipping from I believe Remote Supermarket. They list them now for $4.95 each. I honestly feel that the plastic on the new shells is thicker than the OE shells. May not be, and may not hold up very well but for the price, you can't beat it.

Ive ditched my factory shells and gone the Yota MD route

I bought one last month from same place bobr1 did. One locksmith refused to cut it. He said they could not verify it was made from good metal and could damage their machine. Went to a hardware store. The manager said the same thing but said he would try but no guarantee. It cut fine and I went home and programmed the remote buttons and transponder. Works just fine.

His procedure does work. Couldn't get the "normal" way to work since i have the lazy lock actuarors
but this worked. Only thing is to not wait before pushing the remote buttons towards the end of the procedure do it right away.

His procedure does work. Couldn't get the "normal" way to work since i have the lazy lock actuarors
but this worked. Only thing is to not wait before pushing the remote buttons towards the end of the procedure do it right away.
Yeah I had the same issues with the locks being slow when using the power lock button and not working for the programming. I would have given up if I hadn't found the video.

Got a key from remote supermarket off ebay for around 30 bucks. Seems pretty solid and looks good. Went by Lowes and they did not have the right mold to cut it.

Also..... Just found that the black non keyless key I got with the LX is the valet. Looks like my quick fix just got a lot longer. I have already ordered a techstream set off Amazon and will be calling the orginal dealership tomorrow to see if they can help at all.

Got a key from remote supermarket off ebay for around 30 bucks. Seems pretty solid and looks good. Went by Lowes and they did not have the right mold to cut it.

Also..... Just found that the black non keyless key I got with the LX is the valet. Looks like my quick fix just got a lot longer. I have already ordered a techstream set off Amazon and will be calling the orginal dealership tomorrow to see if they can help at all.

Do you need TechStream for the key programming?

If Im not mistaken any of these keys can be cut/programmed to a master as long as you have master key to start with.

^^^^^^^ Yes.

Any transponder key with the CORRECT chip should 'program'.... provided there is a working 'Master Key' to use in the process.

It 'might' be necessary to delete all other keys (except the Master being used) from the control unit before a new one can be programmed/accepted...because there is limit to how many can be programmed in (5 IIRC). But other than that...yes, they should work.

So these are master keys?????
Yeah these keys have transponders in them like the original master key. But they have to be programmed with another master key that is already working for the vehicle.

Yeah these keys have transponders in them like the original master key. But they have to be programmed with another master key that is already working for the vehicle.

Thanks. I ordered two. I have only a master (bought the vehicle used), and if I am programming I'd like to have at least a spare master.

Thanks. I ordered two. I have only a master (bought the vehicle used), and if I am programming I'd like to have at least a spare master.

Good plan. Ideally you'd want three transponder keys. That way if one should fail you would always have a 'spare' (for the working key) until you can get the other repaired/replaced.

I have 3 working Masters at all times (one for me, one for my wife, one at home). Also have one cut key (no transponder) hidden on the vehicle....to open a door if we should manage to lock ourselves out.

I don't go on extended trips without having two master keys with me/us. Don't want to be dead in the water someplace because I didn't 'think ahead'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom