Had an auto start installed on my 02, now cruise control, air bag light and speedo don't work. Shop not claiming responsibility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
They just keep saying, "Well it is a 17 year old vehicle with high miles, stuff breaks. We didn't do it.". I find that very suspicious especially considering all 3 were working just fine and less than 25 miles after the install all of this s*** is broken.

What could they have done to mess this up? Wiring? Blown fuse?

They probably tapped into an incorrect wire.

if they said it just like that, that's a pretty bad and unprofessional attitude in my book. So I don't know that I'd let them do any more work on my truck even if they offered.
I don't know what an auto start is but can't you see how they installed it?

There's been a few complaints relating to auto start installs here. Having sucessfully won a settlement against a Toyota dealer I can offer some advice on how to move forward. It does seem clear they are responsible for the damage.
I would first call and speak to a manager or owner and record the time and date, or just check your phone records if you've already done so. If there is no response I would make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if they are a member, and if not, or concurrently, I would make a complaint to your State Attorney General's office. Usually a business will respond to these.
Failing that, simply file a small claims case against them in your municipality as it's relatively easy and cheap and most people will respond. You will need to follow your local procedures, such as making your request for payment in writing and allowing at least 30-days before filing the small claims. Alternatively you could have an attorney send a letter demanding compensation. This tends to spook people into action. You could also hire an attorney to litigate on contingency (only paid if/when they win, usually 30-40% of winnings so factor for this, but you can also request additional damages in a lawsuit which is what I did and received.
Then, just follow through with whatever method, in my case we filed a lawsuit and they wanted to go to trial, but in the end negotaited with my attorney who was working on a contingency basis as described above, so I was able to pay his fees and still recover all of my costs plus fees and still have some extra left over. Took a year but little effort on my part.

I don't know what an auto start is but can't you see how they installed it?

You don't now what an auto start is? It's the thing where you push a button on a key fab and it starts your vehicle without you being in it lol

There's been a few complaints relating to auto start installs here. Having sucessfully won a settlement against a Toyota dealer I can offer some advice on how to move forward. It does seem clear they are responsible for the damage.
I would first call and speak to a manager or owner and record the time and date, or just check your phone records if you've already done so. If there is no response I would make a complaint with the Better Business Bureau if they are a member, and if not, or concurrently, I would make a complaint to your State Attorney General's office. Usually a business will respond to these.
Failing that, simply file a small claims case against them in your municipality as it's relatively easy and cheap and most people will respond. You will need to follow your local procedures, such as making your request for payment in writing and allowing at least 30-days before filing the small claims. Alternatively you could have an attorney send a letter demanding compensation. This tends to spook people into action. You could also hire an attorney to litigate on contingency (only paid if/when they win, usually 30-40% of winnings so factor for this, but you can also request additional damages in a lawsuit which is what I did and received.
Then, just follow through with whatever method, in my case we filed a lawsuit and they wanted to go to trial, but in the end negotaited with my attorney who was working on a contingency basis as described above, so I was able to pay his fees and still recover all of my costs plus fees and still have some extra left over. Took a year but little effort on my part.

Damn, that sounds like a giant headache.

I was reading a thread about an intermittent issue with a speedo not working. Turns out that a ground wire that wasn't attached was causing it. maybe check for loose or missing ground wire behind the dash panel.

Damn, that sounds like a giant headache.
Ideally you go step by step, most will resolve it at the management level with the threat of small claims, and small claims or a letter from a lawyer is cheap and easy. The only reason it got complex for me is that here in Oregon the defendant can opt to push the case to a full-blown jury trial, which the dealer did perhaps thinking it would scare me off. It didn't, I called their bluff, and it cost them many more dollars in the end.

Also, clocksprings can cause some of those issues, maybe verify it's not that. I don't think they would have any reason to remove the wheel to cause damage there so could be coincidental if that's the cause. You can often hear things sliding around with a damaged clockspring.

These all sound like guage cluster related issues. Insure the two 10,m bolts are tightened not too tight or they pop out and you have to start again. They hold the cluster onto its 4 connectors.

Failing that, have the shop remove all remote start components. Watch them as they work noticing where they are messing around and that they do a proper uninstall.

a remote start should be a very straightforward installation. And should be easy to disable/remove too. Now, if they messed up the wiring someplace else while doing that, it may take a bit of detective work but should not be too bad, hopefully. And yes, I would check grounds right away.
I would think over carefully before I'd let them touch the truck, they may remove the install but that may not fix the problem, and the incentive for them to do a good job would likely be minimal, or worse if there is antagonism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom