had a small accedent! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i hope i am not breaking any rules, i posted these pics on my rig of the month thread too, and i was hoping some one would post up other damage i should look for.
any how i hit a rock embankment doing 50 mph, and seriously screwed my spring on the passenger side, the top of the shock went through my inner fender, should i have the frame checked, every thing looks like it is back where it belongs except for the spring.
toy4xfun-albums-damage-picture13483-mytruck-218.jpg

toy4xfun-albums-damage-picture13484-mytruck-219.jpg

toy4xfun-albums-damage-picture13487-mytruck-222.jpg

so what else should i check when i start tearing it down.
thanks for your help,:cheers:.

The frame may be OK, but that shock tower looks buckled to me. It may still work OK, but keep an eye on it for stress cracks.

thanks klf i will checkit real good when i get the new springs, 88 stay buy your phone in case i need them.

An impact hard enough to flex the shock tower into the inner fender and to "w" the spring? I would check for cracks at the shock tower and the spring hangers and for u-bolt damage and not be surprised if the axle housing is bent. You might start really burning through inner axle seals. Have you locked the front hubs yet? Is your steering wheel centered still?

ok guys i received my procomp front springs......
toy4xfun-albums-damage-picture13659-mytruck-227.jpg

toy4xfun-albums-damage-picture13660-mytruck-228.jpg

i have a set of these, they are off a set of rear ome springs......
toy4xfun-albums-damage-picture13683-mytruck-233.jpg

i have a home made bumper welded to the frame, a winch, every thing is very heavy.
so would it be a good or bad idea to bolt these to the new springs before i install them?

i have a friend with a frame machine, once i get it all back together he is going to check it.
but my question now is about the springs, will it hurt or help to put those little springs into my front spring packs?

i have a friend with a frame machine, once i get it all back together he is going to check it.
but my question now is about the springs, will it hurt or help to put those little springs into my front spring packs?

I doubt it. The worst i see that can happen is it tears the bushings up a little... That also depends on how bent the frame is...

They can take the frame not being straight, they're rubber and pliable...

How much can you get away with? IDK... They'll prolly split the difference in how much the frame is bent, and how the axle is supposed to be positioned under the truck...

once again i am sorry, hard to articulate what i am asking, will those help carry the weight of my heavy bumper, winch combo?
i am not looking at rather the frame is bent if it is my buddy will straighten it, since he is doing this for beer i want every thing else to be right, before he does his thing.

I would put the springs in now without those overload leafs, see how it sits after a few miles of driving around. If it's too low or bouncy, stick 'em in and see if it helps. Hope your U-bolts are long enough.

Sometimes you can do more damage to a frame by trying to straightening it then just leave it bent, drive it. It's not exactly a limo you're driving there...

I can't imagine trying to measure the diagonals on a frame with all the suspension crap in the way.

thanks klf, i will do that, and you are right, it is not a limo.
and what my friend has is all computerized, not sure how it works, he restores vette's so he knows how the damn thing works.

I think those pro comp springs are going to be a little on the heavy rate side. Way heavier than All Pro, Marlin, or Trail gear equivalent. I would for sure leave out the add a leaf, drive it for a while and then determine if you need it.

alright i have the passenger spring replaced, hopefully tomorrow i will finish the front and get to work on the rear, i am also going to put the rear from my 86 under it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom