HAC on a NonUSA Carb??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kevinmrowland

Forum Lifer
Threads
Website
www.wagongear.com
1985 FJ60
Can this be done?
I am feeling the need for High Altitude Compensation.

I have a NonUSA carb that has been serving me well. It does not have the air intake ports on the top of the carb for an HAC system.
The only Vacuum ports are down near the base (3) all with slightly different vacuum personalities.

The NonUS carb does appear to have the circuits for the HAC air intake but the ports seem to be plugged?
Can these plugs be knocked out to insert ports?

As a side note, still NonUS carb related, the fuel cut solenoid may need replacement (consistent hesitation and about 1,600 RPM) The Non USA has only one wire on its solenoid (the US have 2 wires) does any one have a PN or source for this?

Thanks in Advance,
Kevin R.

here are a couple of versions or vac routes. the soli is 8008-21934, i think, the cdn and usa versions look diff like you said. it looks like the us is one wire and the cdn is two. or atleast the connector looks bigger on the cdn.

Last edited:
hummmmmm. That's not what mine looks like?
The soleniod I was refering to was the one that scews directly into the top of the carb?
Am i missing something? It happens.
Those drawings look like older choke breaker setups??? did old carbs use vacume diaphram fuel cuts?
To many questions.

I put the part number in the post. your original post seemed to be about the routing of vac lines.

Ah, thanks.
I thought the PN and the diagrams were referencing the same thing.

I searched through the diagrams you emailed me (thanks again) but found none that showed a non USA HAC setup

Hence the new thread.

Thanks,
Kevin R.

are you talking about the HIC? the bottom air itake shows the HIC (by the way, these are different than the ones i emailed you, i found them recently)

Last edited:
Nope, HAC, High Alltitude Compesator
HIC, hot air intake (Hot Idle Compensation) is just a luxury, it's even listed in the manual as an "Auxiliary Sytem" so is the HAC though.

I noticed that these were different, I just thought you were holding out on me.

the two wire US spec Fuel Cut Solenoid might work if I wire in the vacuum switch.
I will try that if I can't find the one wire solenoid.

kevinmrowland said:
1985 FJ60
Can this be done?
I am feeling the need for High Altitude Compensation.

I have a NonUSA carb that has been serving me well. It does not have the air intake ports on the top of the carb for an HAC system.
The only Vacuum ports are down near the base (3) all with slightly different vacuum personalities.

The NonUS carb does appear to have the circuits for the HAC air intake but the ports seem to be plugged?
Can these plugs be knocked out to insert ports?

As a side note, still NonUS carb related, the fuel cut solenoid may need replacement (consistent hesitation and about 1,600 RPM) The Non USA has only one wire on its solenoid (the US have 2 wires) does any one have a PN or source for this?

Thanks in Advance,
Kevin R.

I don't know about your non-usa carb. because Toyota made so many kind of non-usa carb.
Mine is also one of non-usa carb.
But I can tell that if you need HAC port which USA carb. have usually, you can swap top portion of your non-usa carb(it's name is air-horn) to air-horn from usa FJ60's carb.
They are bagically same only exception is some vacuum ports.
You can install FJ60's air-horn, and plug vacuum ports which you don't need.

Regarding ful cut solenoid valve, two wire or one wire is not problem.
You could know that one wire is only for ground.
Here's P/N
21062-61010, 21062-61270 : 8008-9208 (For NON-USA FJ60,FJ62) - These have one wire

21062-61021 : 8008-8110 (For Canadian FJ60)
21062-61060 : 8808-8708 (FOR USA FJ60)

If you have further question, please inform me your non-usa carb's P/N which printed on number-plate. (This number plated is bolted on air-horn assy.)

Thank you,

Oh, Min Seok

Last edited:
No, thank you Oh, Min Seok,

Great info there, thanks.
If you don't mind I would like to send you the PN, I would like any info I can get :)
The plate is still very legible, so I will post the numbers as soon as it is light out here.
I was considering swaping the air horn but my carb is only a few years old and in great shape so I would rather not.

Regarding the one or two wires, do the solenoids operate differently? the second wire only gets ground when there is no manifold vacuum. Will the solenoid work if it is in a constant state of ground?

Thanks again,
Kevin R.

kevinmrowland said:
No, thank you Oh, Min Seok,

Great info there, thanks.
If you don't mind I would like to send you the PN, I would like any info I can get :)
The plate is still very legible, so I will post the numbers as soon as it is light out here.
I was considering swaping the air horn but my carb is only a few years old and in great shape so I would rather not.

Regarding the one or two wires, do the solenoids operate differently? the second wire only gets ground when there is no manifold vacuum. Will the solenoid work if it is in a constant state of ground?

Thanks again,
Kevin R.

Yes, you can send PM to me always :)
But to share information with other members, posting reply is what I prefer more :)
When you see your number plate, there's only 5 digit numbers.
That's last 5 digit of part number.
As a example, the number which printed on my carb's number plate is '61191'
It means that my carb's P/N is 21100-61191
You can understand easily.
My carb don't have any vacuum port on air horn because it's de-smogged from her birth.
I also changed my carb's air-horn because I broke fuel-inlet pipe thread.
After searching for correct part, I couldn't find same one that I adopted US FJ60's air-horn and plugged vacuum port.
Regarding fuel-cut solenoid valve, I don't know difference exactly.
But I think they operates same way.
Jim C. who is real professinal technian about carb can inform you about this.

kevinmrowland said:

Thanks again,
Kevin R.
Hi Kev My old 3F aussie carb had 2 wires in it originally but when I had it rebuilt the shop chopped the earth wire and told me I didnt need it as it was already earthed elsewhere.

I never had any problems and I now use the single wire on the shutoff soleniod on the fuel injection pump on my new diesel,and it works there ok too:D

You can see in this pic the chopped wire with the earth wire connected to the carb.
robs pics 109 (Small).jpg

Ok, here is the PN for my carb; H5622
that is what is on the little plate, I didnt think it was suposed to have a letter in it, but it does.
Thanks for any info you can provide on this model carb.

Rosco, good to know that the solenoid works.
My understanding of the circut is that the second wire would always have ground, but only if the engine is off?
This action happens by way of the emisions computer and a manifold vacuum switch.
Do the Ausi models have a computer that is not emission related? therby giving the circut a different action?

kevinmrowland said:
that is what is on the little plate, I didnt think it was suposed to have a letter in it, but it does.

My understanding of the circut is that the second wire would always have ground, but only if the engine is off?
This action happens by way of the emisions computer and a manifold vacuum switch.
Do the Ausi models have a computer that is not emission related? therby giving the circut a different action?

that's what I have been trying to figure out. do the non usa versions have a "computer", and if not would anyone share a wiring diagram for the non usa version 60.

kevinmrowland said:

Computers,nah I dont think so. My 88 73 series has an identical electrical schematic as its aussie spec 60 series cousin.
The only anti pollution stuff is the charcoal canisters and the crank venting into the air inlet
I suppose thats why it had 155hp without efi:cool:

I thought things like this were only earthed as a back up like the earth on the oil sender plug.
If I have a computer then it understands diesels as well.:D
robs pics 107 (Small).jpg

so if you do not have a "emissions computer" where does the fuel cutoff solenoid wire go to? would it just go to some other wire that is hot when engine is running but off when ignition key is turned off??

beaufort-fj60 said:
so if you do not have a "emissions computer" where does the fuel cutoff solenoid wire go to? would it just go to some other wire that is hot when engine is running but off when ignition key is turned off??

I believe so. Ive never heard of them working any other way.

Oh oh ,...It does have an emission control computer with the solenoid connected and a vac switch
I hope this pic turns out. Number 25 is the computer,26 is the vac switch and 27 is the solenoid
robs pics 110 (Small).jpg

looks like it 25 might be some type of grounding block / switch. maybe vac drop triggers the switch to turn off 27.

Cool, now we may be getting somewhere.

Perhaps I should have seperated the HAC and the solenoid into two threads :)
I had no idea it would generate this much discusion.

Your diagram makes sense, but why would you have had a two wire fuel cut solenoid in the first place?
The USA two wire solenoids appear to have two puposes, first, to cut the fuel suply when engine is off to help prevent diesling.
Second, to cut or limit fuel supply during deceleration or "engine breaking" in an attemt at better fuel economy.
Your circutry shows the one wire, engine off set up.

I THINK that if the other wire were always grounded your carbs slow circut would always be on. I guess that it would not be such a big issue. I can not see very much of a MPG gain from such a small thing.

roscoFJ73 said:
Hi Kev My old 3F aussie carb had 2 wires in it originally but when I had it rebuilt the shop chopped the earth wire and told me I didnt need it as it was already earthed elsewhere.

I never had any problems and I now use the single wire on the shutoff soleniod on the fuel injection pump on my new diesel,and it works there ok too:D

You can see in this pic the chopped wire with the earth wire connected to the carb.

rosco,

of the three vac line setups shown above, which one is most similar to the pic you posted of your carb/cut off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom