H55F Tranny to Orion Tcase?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone out there know if it is possible to set up a H55F 5 speed tranny to a orion tcase?

H55 needs a split case transfer, orion is a 1 piece.

I thought you were selling your rig? listed on craigslist?

You are correct about the split tcase! I know h55f exist for 1piece cases, just never seen one, dont think they made it to the US. . Was looking for other options if possible. I would like a lower 1st gear and a 5th gear option and want to keep everything toyota.
Yes rig is posted and just testing the waters.

I fit a h55 to a 1980 one peice case by cutting the different larger h55 splines into the input gear of the one peice with a wire Edm machine(350$). I also had to notch the plate that normally goes onto the back of h42 to make room for the fifth gear shifter fork. The reason I did it was too keep my parking drum brake and also planed on trying to fit a three speed case one day. Worked well for 8 years till this happened...
IMG_2293.JPG
IMG_2294.JPG

You are correct about the split tcase! I know h55f exist for 1piece cases, just never seen one, dont think they made it to the US. . Was looking for other options if possible. I would like a lower 1st gear and a 5th gear option and want to keep everything toyota.
Yes rig is posted and just testing the waters.

Would be interested in knowing if Toyota made a H55F to work with a one piece transfer case. I heard the opposite. Toyota continued to use the three speed into the eighties in poverty pack 4X series in a few markets. If these was because of cost or because the three speed was so easy to work on without special tools I'm sure. Be heard those three speeds had a split transfer case. The H55F started with the 83 model 10/82. Find it interesting Toyota would install their top end transmission in the 4X series when it replaced the weaker one speed case for the split case two years earlier. To my knowledge once the split transfer case started never installed one with a hand brake on a FJ40 or BJ42. Even on all the mid wheel base 4X series from 8/80 on I've seen had the hand brake on the rear axle. When you can put lower gears in a split transfer case and locate a hand brake why use a one piece transfer case? If your looking to get low gears your probably thinking of using this off-road. Five speed and transfer case with a hand brake the rear driveshaft gets pretty short so any lift lift and the angle becomes a problem.

Anyone out there know if it is possible to set up a H55F 5 speed tranny to a orion tcase?
I would call advance adapters and talk to them about your options. I am pretty sure they have different input shafts for the orion. So you may have to change your input shaft if you already have a orion.

I would call advance adapters and talk to them about your options. I am pretty sure they have different input shafts for the orion. So you may have to change your input shaft if you already have a orion.

Probably easiest changing input gear rather than changing the output shaft in a H55F.

I think the orion is either 16 or 19 spline...well I know it's at least either as I have both :)

I think the orion is either 16 or 19 spline...well I know it's at least either as I have both :)

So the input shaft is not the issue just a adapter to bolt the Orion to the H55F? Or does the Orion come in a version to replace the split transfer case? But the 83+ have provisions to oil the fifth gear in the H55F.

So the input shaft is not the issue just a adapter to bolt the Orion to the H55F? Or does the Orion come in a version to replace the split transfer case? But the 83+ have provisions to oil the fifth gear in the H55F.

X2...that's what I was thinking, how to attach the transfer case and what about the 5th gear oiler.

the split case is a very durable transfer. does the orion have a lower low range?

X2...that's what I was thinking, how to attach the transfer case and what about the 5th gear oiler.

the split case is a very durable transfer. does the orion have a lower low range?

Believe you can get gears for a split transfer case for 4:1. That's right about the same as the Orion. I also prefer the hand brake on the rear axle. Have both axle and transfer case setups and on a SWB will use the axle for the hand brake.

That looks like a very simple adapter to make if you have a drill press. 1 inch aluminum plate with some holes. The oil channel could be made with a die grinder. The biggest issue I see is the Orion input gear splines need to be correct. Not sure what the h55 output spline count is. Classic cruisers makes a similar plate for the sm465. Maybe they could make a h55 plate if you don't feel like making one yourself.

Orion is 4:1. Jim thanks for the thread. Appears to be a ton of work. I think I will continue with may present set up.
Orion, 4 speed tranny, 4:88 diffs. I did install a e-brake to the tcase from PartsMike, works better than expected.
Next issue is solving speedo from the Orion, to the mechanical 40 speedo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom