h55f tranmission / xfer oil return hose (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello,
I'm pretty sure there are at least a few people on here who have done the hose from transmission to transfer case on a h55f to keep oil levels in check once the xfer starts pumping oil uphill - I'm wanting to put one in, I remember seeing a parts list for it online somewhere, but can't find it.
My main question I guess is - is the popular option to just tap the filler plugs and use whatever elbow/hose you can find, or can you acutally find fittings out there that fit in (replace) the filler plugs?

Thanks,
Evan

Hey Evan,
I have no real experience with this, but I have read about it on the international section here on Mud. I think there is a kit you can buy, but it is sort of pricey, do a search in the international section, and you should get some results.
Cheers,
Deny

Here you go

TC 'Oil Transfer' fix w/pics!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We've got another Desert trip this weekend so I better take care of this....

Well besides the fact that my Transfer Case is running dry I can't stand the smell of hot 90 weight when I'm playing in the sand. This is by far the easiest "repair" I've done yet.

I know Man-a-fre sells a kit for this but it's pretty simple to DIY.

Parts involved:

2 new drain/fill plugs from Toyota
2 new plug washers
2 new brass 1/8" pipe male thread to 3/8" hose nipple
Teflon Tape or liquid pipe sealant
1/8" pipe thread tap
3/8" fuel or trans cooler hose(I got 2 feet to be safe)
2 hose clamps

I got the new plugs so I could do everything on my bench before crawling under to do this.
If I was gonna do this again I would use 1/4" pipe thread fittings instead of 1/8" only for the bigger hole on the inside to promote better oil flow.

Drill out the plugs from the backside, they're hollow and make an excellent drill guide. Tap the holes from the front side.
Remove the old plugs, let the trans drain, refill the transfer(mine always seems to take 3-4 pints)
Put the new plugs in without the brass fittings 'cause you'll need to set the drain/fill angle of the fitting.
Screw in the fittings and adjust the angle for good drainage, cut the hose to length and clamp on. DONE!

It was found in the 60/62 tech area

Evan, if you are in the Greater Vancouver area you can get the right fittings from a hydraulic shop. I got some from a place in Port Kells on 96th Ave and about 190th St. It was on the south side of the road with a bright blue awning. I could even adjust the hose elbows for the right direction and still have them tight but not too tight!

Thanks for the replies!

I was thinking it would be better to find an elbow that fits right in the plug hole, rather than tapping the plug, to maximize flow and so the level it drains to is as close to the bottom of the fill plug hole as possible. The though I'd had was it would be hard to get the angle on the elbows to be right and still have them tight enough, but I figure you can leave it a little loose - should still hold the oil, and the hose will keep the fittings from turning themselves out under vibration. Sounds like the elbows from that place in Pt.Kells solve that problem though too! Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers,
Evan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom