H55F top swap HELP NEEDED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I've swapped a BJ60 powertrain into my BJ42 which was a bear of a job. I got sick of bleeding the fuel system and went to put the floor plate on and noticed the shifter hole didn't line up. I measured everything and over looked the tops are different. Before I swap out the tops is there anything special I need to do? I did this on a sm465 once and nearly had a stroke putting it back together as the shifter had to be half way in reverse which I didn't know before taking the top off. I know a ford top loader is also a nightmare. I appreciate the help. I'm so close to being back on the road and didn't need this surprise. Thanks again

Did you have a H55F in your BJ42? Is so could switch the top covers. Otherwise the shift cane will be further back. Here is a 40 series H55F top cover.

IMG_20200219_141030884.jpg

That's where I'm at but the more I look at it I'm going to modify the floor cover, heat and bend the shifter rather than fight with swapping tops. There isn't a whole lot of clearance now that it's in the truck.

The top is super easy to swap. It is as easy as unbolting the old one and bolting on the new one. You do NOT have to mess with the linkage at all. just be sure both are in neutral.

Thanks! Are there shifter forks hanging down like a sm465?

Yes the shifter forks hang down. Very easy to line up the shift collars and install the top shift cover.

Make sure it’s in gear before you pull the top cover. Carefully remove the top cover without disturbing the shifting forks. There’s a few posts of people having a difficult time aligning everything up correctly after a rebuild and/or replacing the top cover. You’ll know something’s a miss if you can’t freely shift through the gears. I had a brand new H55F and I swapped the 40-series top plate before installing it into the truck. It was pretty easy, but I remember using a flash light to peek inside as I drop the top cover into place.

Interesting one post says to leave in it neutral and another in gear. I personally leave it in neutral. Never have problem with the two forks. The small fork for reverse. Is the one. The lever the fork fits on moves around easily. The fifth gear shift is external. This is the only part that is different then the four speed. Could lock the shift rod for fifth gear so it's not in gear and use a four speed top on five speed.

That's where I'm at but the more I look at it I'm going to modify the floor cover, heat and bend the shifter rather than fight with swapping tops. There isn't a whole lot of clearance now that it's in the truck.

Didn't answer, did you currently have a H55F in your BJ42? Production date of your BJ42? Just so you know if you had a four speed that cover will not work the fifth gear. The 40 series top cover for the H55F is fairly rare. Only used on the 40 series after 10/82. Mainly in the BJ42 and BJ46. Few FJ40s, no FJ45s and HJ47s. Plenty of 60 seriesused them. The 70 series used the H55F for around fifteen years.

That is what I was afraid of. I just took it for a spin sans cover and I actually don't mind the shifter where it is. I think it will be a nightmare trying to pull and reinstall it through the access hole in the floor. I wish I caught that before I swapped the power trains. I'm going to order a new trans cover from Aqualu and just leave it as is as it's pretty comfortable. Thanks for all the replies.

Interesting one post says to leave in it neutral and another in gear. I personally leave it in neutral. Never have problem with the two forks. The small fork for reverse. Is the one. The lever the fork fits on moves around easily. The fifth gear shift is external. This is the only part that is different then the four speed. Could lock the shift rod for fifth gear so it's not in gear and use a four speed top on five speed.

Didn't answer, did you currently have a H55F in your BJ42? Production date of your BJ42? Just so you know if you had a four speed that cover will not work the fifth gear. The 40 series top cover for the H55F is fairly rare. Only used on the 40 series after 10/82. Mainly in the BJ42 and BJ46. Few FJ40s, no FJ45s and HJ47s. Plenty of 60 seriesused them. The 70 series used the H55F for around fifteen years.

Yeah, I have the H55F from the BJ42 with the right cover. I didn't realize they were that rare. The transmission was good but the transfer case was in dire need of a rebuild. I had a low milage BJ60 power train with perfect compression so I just swapped it out and put the turbo on it. Noticeable power increase over my old 3B which ran great as well.

So your have a 10/82+ production date? Would be a no brainier to just install the correct cover if you have it. Guessing you used the transfer shifter from the original transfer case as the 60 would be too far back.

I would have been a no brainer if I had caught it before installing it. Now it's going to be tight trying to weasel that top on with the shifter forks hanging down. This winter I may add the Aqualu cowel as well so I can always do it then.

Hold onto that top cover maybe you can do it when you get an excuse to take down. I had a similar experience but instead of just swapping them, I only had a 40 top cover with no hardware. I used the existing hardware from h55 tranny top cover that was for a fj60. And swapped in new the hardware was made for 40 top cover. Not complicated at all if you have diagram which I lucky to have. Basically they opposite from each. About the only thing I recommend is make sure both trannies are in the same position before removing the hotplate. I did mine the neutral position. The forks should should just slide in with no effort. I also took pics while doing since I had not done one previously.

Hold onto that top cover maybe you can do it when you get an excuse to take down. I had a similar experience but instead of just swapping them, I only had a 40 top cover with no hardware. I used the existing hardware from h55 tranny top cover that was for a fj60. And swapped in new the hardware was made for 40 top cover. Not complicated at all if you have diagram which I lucky to have. Basically they opposite from each. About the only thing I recommend is make sure both trannies are in the same position before removing the hotplate. I did mine the neutral position. The forks should should just slide in with no effort. I also took pics while doing since I had not done one previously.

Good Plan. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom