H55f speedo cable to Autometer gauge question. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Blackknight1

SILVER Star
Threads
Good morning,
I installed an H55f tranny on my 78 Fj40 and installed a full set of Autometer Phantom gauges. I looked all over for a speede cable that would adapt and work with both but could not find anything. Has anyone here done something similar and was able to get this speedometer setup to function properly and accurately ?
Also , I am running 35" tires and I'm quite sure that this will also affect the accuracy of my speedometer. How do you guys solve that ?
All info will be greatly appreciated.

I think you would need a speedo cable suited to your h55f to start off with. Then a speedo gauge which is calibrated to the cable. Any of the calibrated gauges which ran off the h55f; hj47,hj60, hj75, hzj75, sorry not sure about the fj gearbox, probably the same h55f, someone else here would know that.

Bigger wheels changes speedo reading for sure, it would read you are going slower and less distance traveled. Less rotation of your tyres per rotation of your gearbox.

It would be difficult, I imagine, to calibrate a different brand sender to a different brand gauge. I am unfamiliar how your autometer gauge reads, does it come with a sender or cable?. And how does it attach?

Quite a few spices in your mix.

I use to run an old school garmin sat nav which gave speedo readings by satellite, along with the ome gauge, sender and wheel size. It was fairly accurate except going in tunnels and if I recall when reception was poor, or maybe not. It was not always reliable like a cable attached to your gearbox which is always there. It was kinda cool thou like marvel's ironman' screen data when he is flying about.

But stock ome wheel size, speedo cable and gauge is your best baseline imo.

Once your baseline is established then you could change one thing at a time, then you can take note of differences in speed.

Or just simply drive the same speed everyone else is! Sometimes highways have the camera speed detectors which tells your speed on signs, like the cops have. Kind of wonder if they are accurate though and those cameras are not always there either.

Thanks for your reply here are some pictures of the speedometer.

20230314_115838.jpg

20230314_115848.jpg

I wonder if a sender to a digital rather than mechanical speedometer would be the easy to make that work?

You may have to speak to autometer, I would not get too attached to it. It would need one of their cables and I have no idea how you attach that to a h55f.
h55f speedo attaches to transfer, for what it is, ome is pretty cheap and cheerful and lasts a long time. Would be up there as the more accurate toyota gauge.

on my H55, the speedo cable is purely mechanical - which works with my similarly mechanical speedometer in the dash - to make the speedometer to display the correct speed for larger tires, you would need to switch the speedo gear

but of course, you could easily resort to what most of us do: just mentally add 5% or 10% or so to your dash speed, depending on tire size - good thing is you only need to calculate once :hillbilly:

if you want to avoid the mathematical acrobatics, it's also possible to measure the actual speed with your phone or other GPS device, and then you know how by much to correct in your mind the reading you see on your odometer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom