H55F shift lever housing play & shifting behavior (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Throughout the summer, with new seat and shifter bushing, my H55F's shifter was nice and tight and shifted buttery smooth. Over the last month, I've started to notice more play in the shifter when in gear, along with some dodgy shifting into 2nd and 3rd. I pulled the shifter today and looked at the shift lever housing, and there's just shy of 1/4" of left-right play in the assembly. I recorded it and attached the video. Thoughts?

As far as the shifting, it isn't as bad once it's good and warm (which I've noticed takes a LONG time with a manual!), but still noticeable. Best way to describe it with as little familiarity I have with the H55F is it feels like the synchros aren't quite doing their job of helping the gear teeth mesh immediately. There's no grinding at all, but just an initial *clunk* before getting into gear. I wouldn't be concerned except like I said, for several months there was nothing but nice smooth shifting hot and cold. Out of curiosity I double clutched a few times today while driving and the shifting was smooth as silk again when I did that. Honestly I should get into the habit of doing that so my clutch will last longer, but I'd rather have it all working the way it's supposed to lol. Tomorrow I'll be double checking the clutch adjustment (which I suspect is fine since downshifting has no issues, nor does upshifting into 4th and 5th gears) and swapping out the rubber hose with a stainless steel I got from Specter. Think this is a good starting point, or is there anything else I should keep in mind or be sure to check as well?

Here's my thoughts:
Brand new synchronizer rings that have never been used will grip their mate with much more tenacity than burnished, polished synchros. I don't think it's possible for a manual transmission to feel the same when shifting comparing it when it was new to having thousands of miles under its belt.

As my H55F piled on the miles I noticed that it didn't shift quite as smooth as it did when it was new, but the change was so gradual that my shifting method adapted with it. My guess was the synchronizers had gotten polished over all those millions of shifts. I used to make it a challenge before a drive to try to make perfect shifts for the whole drive, and after 28 years of driving with it (and 240,000 miles) I don't think I ever accomplished perfect shifts from beginning of the drive to the end - there were always a couple clunkers no matter how careful I was.

The H55F shifts like a dump truck or a big boomed cement pumper truck. It's not like any of Toyota's other transmissions. It's a truck transmission.
My H55F had a quarter of a million miles on it and I'm sure it'll go another 150-200K easily, maybe a lot more if it's never starved of oil.
These things are monsters and a bit crude. Keep it full of oil and it will outlast you

What does it mean when it pops out of gear? Rebuild time?

What does it mean when it pops out of gear? Rebuild time?
Mine is brand new, 45000 kms ago. I tend to have a pop out of 2nd on occasion. I'm not sure I've
pulled it in all the way when it happens. Check fluid levels. I am a huge fan of double clutching, but I've
been driving standards a lot longer than most. Single clutch shifting up, double clutch shifting down
should eliminate any issues.
These are still one of the nicest, smoothest shifting 5 speeds on the market. I expect will last essentially forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom