1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H55f Run-in

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Cruiserdrew, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew On the way there SILVER Star

My driveshafts are going back in this afternoon, so I'll have my H55f on the road!! I was wondering if the new tranny needs a break-in period. I filled it with gear oil yesterday, and let it idle for a few moments in each gear. I can do more of that if it's benificial. By they way-I had no unusual noises, or squealing from the piolt bearing that others have reported. I let the clutch out and the t-case output started spinning-a good thing! The tranny shifted smoothly in all gears, except 3rd which was notchy the first shift, but now seems fine. Can I run it immediately on the freeway, or should I drive around town a bit like you would a new differential?

My plan is to run it a few days and change the gear oil in both tranny and t-case. THere is a fair amount of moly grease in the tranfer from the rebuild and I want to flush that out, plus any dirt I might have introduced by having it apart.

2. Radd Cruisers

Radd Cruisers

No real break in, guess you could open the drain plug quick and put a finger over the hole and check the magnet for filings, otherwise I prefer a goo brand of synthetic.

Could of taken a bit to get the oil up into the third synchros, pretty big cluster.

Only places I like synthetic is the gear boxes and diffs, long term oil and synthetic does not like to mix with water, so I have been told.

Rob

3. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

" No real break in, guess you could open the drain plug quick and put a finger over the hole and check the magnet for filings "

Agree .. but important thing about checking the magnets. I thought that some miles around the town is enoough to " brake in "