H55F rebuild? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have been learning more about the H55F.

I am learning how, the trans is essentially a 4 speed with a 5th gear strapped onto it.

It’s weird how the 5th gear linkage is at the top of the transmission randomly.

Also, where is the 5th gear oiler?

To me everything so far appears to be in good shape.

101780B4-51D5-4000-83DC-BA4A85DA7403.jpeg

7B8B5042-6A93-4628-8A46-8BFBA0760943.jpeg

AAEEA4AA-AD3A-40C3-855F-13460CB87B7F.jpeg

68934EC3-3F54-4980-A84E-737557C71D2E.jpeg

5F671FBE-78AB-4735-9A0B-B9D6C162BD02.jpeg

I am learning how, the trans is essentially a 4 speed with a 5th gear strapped onto it.

View attachment 3225163

View attachment 3225164

View attachment 3225165

View attachment 3225166

View attachment 3225167
I have one apart at the exact same state. Maybe a bit worse condition but splines and cogs look good. All gears select and top hat functions. It is from an unknown wreck, 350k km country driving.

As folks say, can't tell how the synchros are unless you pull the gear apart or can gauge whilst driving it if lucky.

A few people who know a little bit looked at it with a glance, said I should just run with it. Maybe the front seal and definitely gear to transfer seal replace. and perhaps the tt upgraded long input gear.

I do like a cheaper option always myself, unless I had a spare $3-5k aud spare, which I don't. But a brand new shiny would be a dream.

Shall be interested to see what you do with it.

The H5x transmissions were a direct upgrade of the H4x. Specifically, the H55F is an H41 with the 5th gear internals. It looks weird because it literally is a bolt-on 5th gear.

Until pretty recently it was common for 5 speed gearboxes to basically be 4 speed boxes with an overdrive gear behind the back of the case or intermediate plate.

Someone has had your transmission apart, you can see that the staked nut on the end of the counter shaft has been re-used. Nothing to worry about. Perhaps the input shaft was changed when the transmission was new.

It looks to me like there is some wear to the output shaft splines, where the transfer input gear sits. Common problem.

The 5th gear oiler, which frankly I don't think is in any way essential, sits in the front section of the transfer case and pokes into the hole in the end of the coutner shaft.

EO

Did you read this? Like actually read it?

There is a guy near me who is selling a H55F for $1500, he bought the truck from his friend and then parted it out. The transmission has 100,000km. Good deal?

There is a guy near me who is selling a H55F for $1500, he bought the truck from his friend and then parted it out. The transmission has 100,000km. Good deal?

I'd call it an OK deal IF you trust the seller AND get to run/drive it. If it ends up needing and kind of repair you could be upside down pretty quickly. Given you don't get to drive it and he's not even the owner, I'd personally pass.

I'd call it an OK deal IF you trust the seller AND get to run/drive it. If it ends up needing and kind of repair you could be upside down pretty quickly. Given you don't get to drive it and he's not even the owner, I'd personally pass.

Well, what does a rebuilt usually cost?

Well, what does a rebuilt usually cost?

How long is a piece of rope? :D While failure modes in a tcase or axles for example are petty standard easy to predict and estimates. It's hard to guess what an H55F may need, particularly given what little either of us know about it. A rebuild kit, synchros and labor can easily approach/exceed $1000. Obviously if you can do it yourself, half that. With a new 5 speed in the $2500-3000 range depending on your locale and relationship... you can quickly see why a used transmission doesn't always make sense. It could be a good deal, it could need $1500 mode in parts/labor.

How long is a piece of rope? :D While failure modes in a tcase or axles for example are petty standard easy to predict and estimates. It's hard to guess what an H55F may need, particularly given what little either of us know about it. A rebuild kit, synchros and labor can easily approach/exceed $1000. Obviously if you can do it yourself, half that. With a new 5 speed in the $2500-3000 range depending on your locale and relationship... you can quickly see why a used transmission doesn't always make sense. It could be a good deal, it could need $1500 mode in parts/labor.

Well, I want to trust him- he’s a older man, who’s trying to sell his project he did years ago, he appears to be a veteran.

He said he owned the truck when it had 100,000 km when it was pulled.

He also sold a hatch and lift gate and doors in mint condition to another friend of mine….. $250!!!!!

It also comes with the t-case too. Just seems like a good deal.

Well, I want to trust him- he’s a older man, who’s trying to sell his project he did years ago, he appears to be a veteran.

He said he owned the truck when it had 100,000 km when it was pulled.

He also sold a hatch and lift gate and doors in mint condition to another friend of mine….. $250!!!!!

It also comes with the t-case too. Just seems like a good deal.

OK, including the tcase certainly changes the dialogue here. If it's assembled and ready to rock and roll, it may very well be worth the roll of the dice to install and see how it goes. Or, both the trans and tcase need parts/labor :D

Well, I called a reputable cruiser shop. He told me to take the top of the transmission off, and if the brass synchros look pointy, I should buy it.

He said it’s a really good deal- but only if it truly had 100,000KM. So when I look at the unit tomorrow, I will look to see if there is any damage.

Is this 100k H55F from a 3B or B series diesel?

My H55f has 541,000kms on it. They last. Still works great. 485,000 was in Australia.
The only issue I have is I have to replace the input seal about every 2 years as it starts to leak. Not hard job, annoying but since there aren’t any new B input shafts, it’s what I have to do for now until I decide to do something different.

Is this 100k H55F from a 3B or B series diesel?

My H55f has 541,000kms on it. They last. Still works great. 485,000 was in Australia.
The only issue I have is I have to replace the input seal about every 2 years as it starts to leak. Not hard job, annoying but since there aren’t any new B input shafts, it’s what I have to do for now until I decide to do something different.

It’s from a 3B.

I bought it for $1000, internally does appear to be low KM. However, the top of the shifter doesn’t want to go into 3rd gear. I bought it anyways.

0596DA02-3B41-490B-B9DB-C7BD5B75A301.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom