h55f -- questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my cruiser has jul 1985 on the plate inside the door jam, also it looks like I have 2 and a f with a circle stamped on my original tranny, So I guess I have a 2F tranny, it was stamped on the drivers side of the tranny.

So if I wanted to do the conversion to the h55f, mine won't just be a simple bolt up? I will have to do other mods to make this conversion work?

Is this true? what all should I start getting together to do this and what should I expect to run into as far as mods go?

all the help will be greatly appreciated

Ps. I have read some things through the search function, but not all. My work has me bogged down right now and I'm not able to find as much computer time as i need to get all the info.

Best thing to look for is if you have the short extension between the tranny and the transfer. If you have that extension then the H55 should bolt right up.

Agreed, crawl under there and look for a ~3.5" cast extension between the actual transmission and the transfer case.

pretty sure I have the spacer thing, SO if I have that bad boy, then I'm sitting pretty good right now with the conversion? It is a piece that looks the same as the tranny but fits in between the bell house and the tranny? So if I have that there then I have the easy set up to do the conversion?

Please say its yes!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

So the 5 speed is longer which makes up the extra 3.5"?

On the early 60's that don't have this spacer. You need the following??
:confused:
longer mounting bolts for 5speed
new driveshafts
transfer case modified to oil 5 gear (some already are ok)
modifiy linkage to transfercase shifter

What else? I know it probably spread out in the other places but I have not seen a clear list of the major stuff.

I have a 5/85 FJ-60 and I had the extended four speed. The 5sp was more or less a bolt up (or so said Mudrak who installed it).

do you like the 5 speed? Is it worth it? Did it improve the gas milage on the highway? What improvements did you gain and is there any down falls to the conversion?

come on man, fill me in

Thanks James G

The H55F swap is the best mod you can make to your 60. Great driveability compared to the 4 speed. Eberybody that I know who has done this loves it. Mudrak is doing a lot of these lately. He did mine about 1-1/2 years ago, and after more than 10,000 long range miles, I really like it.

M

I'll second that...

I love it. slighty lower 1st, and of course the 5th gear makes highway driving a pleasure. I can cruise at 70ish/2500rpm all day long.

definitely do it if you can...

NocalFJ60 said:
transfer case modified to oil 5 gear (some already are ok).

Hmmm... I can't say I have actually heard of someone modifying the stock t-case to accept the 5th gear oiler if it didn't have the provisions from the factory... I am still trying to figure out what years did & didn't.

Anyone modified one to accept the 5th gear oiler? Pics?

CardinalFJ60 said:
I love it. slighty lower 1st, and of course the 5th gear makes highway driving a pleasure. I can cruise at 70ish/2500rpm all day long.

definitely do it if you can...

what tires and gearing do you have for this? THat's my goal - 2500ish rpms and 70ish. never a race car, but right lane sucks.

i was thinking 33's and 4.11's w/ h55f. not sure where that would put me on the freeway in 5th - speed and rpm wise.

thanks!

rob

PS - h55f ordered! woohoo!

combo...

I have 33's and 4.11s...it's perfect for me. great DD and excellent on the trail. I had the 4.11s put in while I still had 31s - that combo would be great for pulling the rig up long hills, but top end suffers.

If I were doing more off-road than highway, I might consider 4.56s...but I haven't had the 'need' for even lower gears yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom