h55f question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello.
I need to rebuild my early h55f transmission(11/1982).

Need to replace "Gear, counter"(33421 on the picture). There are the different numbers for this part - 33421-60040/33421-60050/33421-60060 depending on the year of transmission manufacture.
I need 33421-60040, but I can't find it.

Are there any differences between 33421-60040/33421-60050/33421-60060. Can I replace my old Gear with part number 33421-60040 with new one with number 33421-60050/33421-60060?

The early input gear utilizes a different tooth count than the later counterpart. Therefore you will not be able to run a later countergear. Ultimately, it'll probably be cheaper/better to just buy a new H55f from Toyota rather than trying to repair what's there. Your parts cost to fix what you have will be substantial. The rebuild kit and countergear will cost you roughly $1k. If the countergear is bad then I assume there are other issues as well. How's the main shaft? Splines ok?

if you're going to rebuild be sure to replace the synchro gears/rings while it's apart. They aren't that expensive and you don't want to have to do this again if they start to fail.

The early input gear utilizes a different tooth count than the later counterpart. Therefore you will not be able to run a later countergear. Ultimately, it'll probably be cheaper/better to just buy a new H55f from Toyota rather than trying to repair what's there. Your parts cost to fix what you have will be substantial. The rebuild kit and countergear will cost you roughly $1k. If the countergear is bad then I assume there are other issues as well. How's the main shaft? Splines ok?
Main shaft is ok.
Is new h55f transmission available from Toyota now?

if you're going to rebuild be sure to replace the synchro gears/rings while it's apart. They aren't that expensive and you don't want to have to do this again if they start to fail.
If I will rebuild my transmission, I will do it anyway.

What engine is in your cruiser?

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

Previous owner swapped 12H-T instead 2H, which is native for my truck(11/1982).
But he left old gearbox/transfer case for an unknown reasons.

Is new h55f transmission available from Toyota now?

I bet only the 1HZ type are easy to get, although JP- car-parts.com have 2H gearboxes priced at $3965USD.
TRANSAXLE OR TRANSMISSION ASSY & GASKET KIT (MTM) / toyota | part list|JP-CarParts.com
Whether they actually have them is another thing. They were selling H55F for the 3F engine for approx $2000 a few years back, but I think that might have been to get rid of them.

4x4 World in Australia are advertising "aftermarket" H55f for the 1HZ at $2850 AUD and genuine at $4741AUD. I wonder if they really are an aftermarket gearbox or just rebuilt boxes from aftermarket parts?

We sell the 10-spline input new H55F OEM Toyota ( part number 33030-60450 ) for $2595. This part number is the same worldwide.

As we can see on ToyoDIY.com this part number is for a HJ60, gearbox for a HJ61 has different part number. Is there any diefference between a gearboxes for HJ60/HJ61?

If you have access to parts diagrams, try looking for different part numbers in the gbox. I cant see there being much of a difference.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom