H55f into my 1985 FJ60... HARD ????? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Normandy Park Wa. ........now in San Diego Ca.
Just picked up a sweet 60 but she is going to need new front and rear mains. Soooo while Im there...would like to throw in this H55f thats been sitting in my garage in a crate. I bought from Australia a couple years ago for pennies and its just been sitting...

Never done this swap before......what am I going to need besides aspirin?

Forget asprin, I would recomend morphine :p

You may as well do the clutch while you are in there, unless you know it is new(ish). I wish that I did the clutch, H55, and transfer case rebuild kit (all new gaskets, o rings, and detent springs) all at the same time. would have taken me a day or two longer in my driveway, but when all was done....ready for fun. I did them at seperate times. sucks to pull all that out multiple times. But then that is me. I like to find that hardest way to do just about anything. example: piss off the wife when I want to have sex. yeah, that is me.

In2cruisers said:
Just picked up a sweet 60 but she is going to need new front and rear mains. Soooo while Im there...would like to throw in this H55f thats been sitting in my garage in a crate. I bought from Australia a couple years ago for pennies and its just been sitting...

Never done this swap before......what am I going to need besides aspirin?

If you search more this forum, you could find so much good infos about H55F swapping.
I suppose you can swap as only bolt on.
But I also want to recommand doing t-case overhaul and clutch job with H55F swap.

Oh, Min Seok

It depends on the production date of your truck. Sometime during 1985 they changed from the setup used in the earlier FJ60's to the one used in the 86' & 87's. I have heard that it was July but have no personal knowledge that this is fact.

If your truck is like the 86' & 87' then it is an easy bolt in swap. There is a spacer on the 4 speed between the tranny and Tcase that is the same size as the 5th gear housing on the H55F. If your truck is setup like the earlier FJ60's then this spacer is absent and you will have to switch a bunch of stuff like driveshafts (they will be the wrong length) and the crossmember etc. It still will be easier than changing an A440F slushbox to a H55F in a FJ62 like I did.

Search for others who have done the swap. I would try, "H55F" 1985 FJ60" and stuff like that.

Good luck,
Dunbar

The change took place in April 1985 with frame number FJ60-127360

D-

I'm right in the middle of doing an H55F swap on my 5/86 60. Along with the clutch and main you should probably go through the TCase as well.
It takes alot of time, but it's time well spent if you're going to keep your 60 for a while.

I got my Tcase kit from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters and everything else from CDan.
Good luck,
Bryan

I'm also in the middle of the H55F swap right now as I type. I had to do a couple extra steps thouh since I have the earlier 60 I had to purchase a newer transfer case since the older one wouldn't work. I would def. recomend rebuilding the transfercase since it will already be apart. Good luck.

MR.FJ60 said:
.... I had to do a couple extra steps thouh since I have the earlier 60 I had to purchase a newer transfer case since the older one wouldn't work...

What year was your T-case?

cruiserdan said:
The change took place in April 1985 with frame number FJ60-127360

D-
Toyota might say that but I have a june 85 cruiser without a spacer on the tranny...

on cruisers there are never absolutes..

MR.FJ60 said:

Did your case not have the oiling provisions?

I had a breakdown of the split case vintages a while back... it was based on a thread from the LCML years ago. I wish I could find it and get it on my site (where I will remember it).

Aug. 1985 is the production date

the door tag says Aug. 1985

Can you give me a run down of parts I am going to need?

She is going to need front and rear mains.....so the trans. is going to have to come out anyway....but can wait till it gets a little warner...so I have time to hunt parts....

Last edited:
bump

bump

In2cruisers said:
the door tag says Aug. 1985

Can you give me a run down of parts I am going to need?

Look and check but most likely you have the case iron spacer between the transmission and transfer case so all you would need is a the 5-speed. It should bolt right in. Might need some new bolts and such.

Another thought

When I got my used H55f from Australia...It came with shifter but not bellhousing....will the one from the 4spd work?

Chris

In2cruisers said:
When I got my used H55f from Australia...It came with shifter but not bellhousing....will the one from the 4spd work?

Chris

Yes...

NocalFJ60 said:
It should bolt right in. Might need some new bolts and such.
You'll also need an "oiler cup" and will have to tap and plug a certain jole in the t-case.

Source?

Where to get Oiler cup for 5spd swap?

In2cruisers said:
Where to get Oiler cup for 5spd swap?

You can buy oiler from Specter off-road or Toyota dealers.

Oh, Min Seok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom