H55F Into '83 FJ60? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CRUISERMHK

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings all. I just recently acquired a stock 1983 FJ60 with 104K. Its a bit rough but planning to put TLC into a "revitalization" to make a great driver and stock looker.

My question here is, can I swap the stock 4 speed for the H55F? Everywhere I search, lists 84 and up, Does that mean its impossible to put into an '83 or just not a typical bolt in? Can you do it with some specialized fabrication and installation modifications? To make it function as I need, the transmission will need to be changed to something with some more top end speed.

Love the forum and appreciate all who take the time to post great information so we all can learn.

Thanks
Robin

Different length driveshafts, some notching around the bellhousing and for the most part it’s a bolt in.

I've just bought an 83 too with 2F and 4 speed, truck is dry and rust free on original paint :D

Looking for tranny swap as well and would like more HP too : )

I've just bought an 83 too with 2F and 4 speed, truck is dry and rust free on original paint :D

Looking for tranny swap as well and would like more HP too : )
If you have the stock 2F engine, coaxing out a few more ponies is about all you will get in any kind of cost effective way.

Many people swap for a small block Chevrolet power plant. Tons of support for that project here.

Personally, I love the 2F. Stick with it stock for a while. It will grow on you. If you plan on lots of highway driving, the 5 speed will help.

Changing from stock tire size to 31’s is like the easy poor mans version of a 5 speed and can be done in an hour.

The fastest way to an optimized 2f Assuming all tube up work is done and compression is good is fuel injection. The sniper kits are well proven and cost wise very reasonable. Or for a bit more work look for a complete 3fe engine and wiring harness and swap heads and fuel injection. This will up your compression and introduce Toyota efi. Should be about the best you can do on stock parts without going really crazy on the build.

I have an 84 and an h55 that’s been sitting under the bench in a box for about 10 yrs. there are a couple differences between early/late fj60 if I can remember correctly.
The h55 is longer but the later had a spacer between the tranny/transfer to make up the difference. That’s why it’s a direct bolt in for the later. For the early the transfer cross member will need to be relocated. The driveshafts will need to be modified. The later bell housing clocked the tranny a few degrees so on the early some trimming will need to be done for the shifter. On an 83 the biggest problem could be the provision for the oiler in the transfer case. I bought a later parts truck for the driveshafts, bellhousing, crossmember, hump and anything else I would need. So I think all I will need to do is fab some crossmember mounts. But like I said I haven’t done it yet.

For the 83: only thing that separates from a 85-87 swap will be:

driveline lengths (both drive shifts will change)
*source drive lines in good shape from 85-87

2wd/4wd shifter linkage will need to be sourced (the longer h55 will not allow your existing shift linkage to be re-used)
*source Linkage from 85-87.

I re-used my trans support from the 83 (3piece design) and did not have any issues.

I also didn’t have any issues with using the original 2F bell housing, I Relieved some material and it worked fine.

Since the older bellhousing isn't rotated a bit like the newer ones, the 5 speed shift lever ends up in an awkward place in the cab. The 4 speed shift lever can't be used with the 5 speed. Some guys have attempted to bend the 5 speed lever using heat & force to get it angled correctly, but I don't know the outcome of that

Since the older bellhousing isn't rotated a bit like the newer ones, the 5 speed shift lever ends up in an awkward place in the cab. The 4 speed shift lever can't be used with the 5 speed. Some guys have attempted to bend the 5 speed lever using heat & force to get it angled correctly, but I don't know the outcome of that

That explains why 2nd is really close to my thigh. I was planning on heating the shifter and bending it slightly. I didn’t connect the use of the 2F bellhousing to shifter location, makes sense. Not sure if the easier fix is the 3F bell housing or heating/adjusting the shifter.

It really doesn’t make sense to buy a used one when they’re $2500 new.

You’re going to find a lot of used mine truck units for $1200-1800 and they’re going to be beat and need a $300-500 rebuild kit.

Unless a truck is wrecked and being parted or a v8/auto is getting swapped in, I don’t think that the average guy on here has any reason to pull a lightly used H55F.

It really doesn’t make sense to buy a used one when they’re $2500 new.

You’re going to find a lot of used mine truck units for $1200-1800 and they’re going to be beat and need a $300-500 rebuild kit.

Unless a truck is wrecked and being parted or a v8/auto is getting swapped in, I don’t think that the average guy on here has any reason to pull a lightly used H55F.

That's what I figured. $2,500 is less than I'm seeing, at least from online suppliers. I'm checking a my local Toyota dealer for a quote as well.

That's what I figured. $2,500 is less than I'm seeing, at least from online suppliers. I'm checking a my local Toyota dealer for a quote as well.

I bought my t case rebuilt and a new h55f from georg at valley hybrids. He was at market pricing in July 2018 and it was a drop in ordeal for me. Just another option for one stop shopping.

you'll also need the longer bolts to attach the transfer to the trans.
if the OP goes with a 3F bellhousing he would also need the 1 piece crossmember to match the rotation of the trans

Sounds like we’ve got the bases covered. I’ve got an H55 in my 05/84 FJ60. Stock bell housing, and cross member. I did bend the shift lever. Clamped in a vice and heated up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom