H55F Install Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a used h55f tranny and transfer case off someone that recently did a V8 / auto tranny swap. I am installing this into my '85 FJ60 and since the new tranny already came with a transfer case attached, I thought this was going to be an unbolt one, bolt in the other swap. However, I have run into a snag.

I have the new tranny installed and when I went to connect the drive shafts, I discovered that the flanges on the transfer case were different. The new flanges are smaller (bolts closer together). What is the solution? Can I put the flanges from my old transfer case on the new case? Or do the drivelines need new flanges?

TIA,

Cruzerman
Somewhere near Oregon

What month is your 85? So the driveshaft lengths are fine they just have the wrong flanges?

The FJ60 is a July, '85 model. The tranny I took out had the "spacer" between the tranny and transfer case. No CV joints in driveshafts. They are the correct length, just larger pattern than the new transfer case.

Cruzerman

THe flanges are interchangable. My t-case was an 87 with the large pattern holes for the drive shaft bolts. I swapped in a set of '83 flanges with the proper bolt parrern. Just swap the flangeas and you'll be fine, but consider replacing the oil seal under the flanges. Remember as well to put some permatex on the splines to prevent oil from seeping through.

Swapped the flanges on the transfer case with the old ones. Thanks for the help.

Cruzerman

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom