h55f input shaft (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jblueridge

SILVER Star
Threads
While trapped in a meeting my gearbox mechanic called to say I need a new input shaft for my 13B-T H55F combo.
He left no details on my message machine.
The parts catalog shows the Toyota part number is or was 33311-60111.

In this year 2022, should I be looking for used one or is there aftermarket like Terrain Tamer (here in USA)?
Leads or comments would be appreciated.

I assume this is a 1988 or newer transmission?

I’ll be happy to check our used parts inventory.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids @ Cruiser Brothers
Shop 209-475-8808
Sales@valleyhybrids.com

Yes Georg, 1988.
For once the difference in West Coast timezone worked in my favor.
I called your shop and left details.

Thanks you two!

While trapped in a meeting my gearbox mechanic called to say I need a new input shaft for my 13B-T H55F combo.
He left no details on my message machine.
The parts catalog shows the Toyota part number is or was 33311-60111.

In this year 2022, should I be looking for used one or is there aftermarket like Terrain Tamer (here in USA)?
Leads or comments would be appreciated.
would love a pic of your damaged input shaft please , seems common

My mechanic is so good, he does not work on Fridays.
I want to see it too next week.
I did not know this was common.
I should have had one standing by.
I’m bummed out since delays may impact my vacation cruise to Montana/Idaho

Maybe common is too strong a word, just have noticed a few folks here have needed it. I believe, overall, h55f is slow between 2nd to 3rd, but robust and long lasting, 5th gear the weakest link, not good for towing.

It is not unusual to get 600,000km from a h55f I believe, if looked after.

What would be the cause of the input shaft to wear? Driving manner? Maintenance? Loose engine/ transfer mounts? Long time with a worn clutch?

Would you also go for the modified long shaft transfer case input shaft whilst in there? Seems like a good upgrade, but still unsure if necessary, it is a stronger design.
Enjoying some h55f discussion as I am looking into them.

What I’ve seen so far is seal surface wear, dust, contaminant?
Bearing failure, particularly on the lay (counter) shaft, shaft drop and gear teeth engagement fail, broken teeth
Shop can fix that but it is expensive.
Not sure if 13BT and 3B (later version) are similar? Terrain Tamer could supply new 3B last year.

Bearing failure, particularly on the lay (counter) shaft, shaft drop and gear teeth engagement fail, broken teeth
Not sure if 13BT and 3B (later version) are similar? Terrain Tamer could supply new 3B last year.
It is good to think of ways to extend the life of the transmission. Not too much we can do about seals wearing besides pulling and re-sealing. Rubber does not last 600,000kms or 30+ years. Especially driving on corrugations.

Frequent oil change and not grind gears when changing (doh). I always find I have to be patient changing gears between 2nd and 3rd in the city, not an issue in the bush.

Hypothetically bearings should last a long time in good oil and well aligned.

I recently refreshed the preload on the transfer output shaft bearing, quite a few sizes of shims to adjust the preload, easy access to maintain. Good design. My driveshaft rattled loose, which can happen. This caused the trans output bearing to loose it's preload. Loose gear shafts would transfer slop and misalign gears throughout the transfer and then onto the trans.

The more one thinks about the modified extended gear leading from the gearbox to the transfer, it is a good idea. Just the more rigid spline contact, the better.

I try to keep an eye out for swarf in the gearbox and transfer.

But the shaft between the engine and gearbox should be a fairly rigid junction?

Interesting terrain tamer can supply 3b input shafts? I need to check.

I believe it’s just seal wear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom