h55f input shaft wiggle? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Where you are holding the shaft to wiggle it... there is normally a pilot bearing solidly holding that end of the shaft. So, what you are doing is not a very fair test.

The real test is to hold that end of the shaft solid (kind of hard to do without an elaborate jig, I'll admit), instead of wiggling it, and THEN check for play in the bearings.

Without aforementioned elaborate-and-somewhat-unecessary-input-shaft-checking-jig, the only realistic thing to test for is a simple spin (in neutral) to check the bearings are moving freely, smoothly, and consistently all the way around. binding, grinding, or sticky spots = bad.

Now, the rear output shaft, on the other hand, is held internally by at least 2 bearings, (and another 2 for a total of 4 when it is installed on the transfer case). That output shaft should have little noticeable play, plus pass the spin test.

Excellent explanation, I won't get something as coherent on facebook!.
I think I have read through the plethora of stuff on the h55f here, watched any of the youtubes on the h55f, but feel not much more knowledgeable. As you don't really know until you try.
Often I read, ' just buy a new one', which is not within my budget, but a dream.

Everything spins freely, all gears engage. It is from an unknown wreck with 350k-ish kms. It has been rebuilt before, as a reuse of stake nut is there.
So far, replacing seals and transfer stuff seems the most obtainable path to me.
Thanks guys.

Everything spins freely, all gears engage. It is from an unknown wreck with 350k-ish kms. It has been rebuilt before, as a reuse of stake nut is there.
350 megameters is about where they often need a rebuild.
Once re-built, all bets are off, and you are at the mercy of the expertise of the rebuilder. The first one I rebuilt, I re-rebuild, then re-re-rebuilt very soon after. As I always say, if you want something done right... do it three times.
Rebuilding a transmission is probably the third most complicated job on an old truck (after #2, rebuilding a mechanical diesel injection pump, and #1 scratch building a new microchip from a billion itty bitty resistors and a soldering iron, frankly , a job that almost no-one here on IH8MUD tackles) Job requires some special tools, and in the absence of the availability of proper special tools, then some clever garage hacks. But, it's do-able by almost all humans. If you can do your own appendectomy on a picnic table with a steak knife, then you can easily figure out a transmission rebuild.

350 megameters is about where they often need a rebuild.
Once re-built, all bets are off, and you are at the mercy of the expertise of the rebuilder. The first one I rebuilt, I re-rebuild, then re-re-rebuilt very soon after. As I always say, if you want something done right... do it three times.
Rebuilding a transmission is probably the third most complicated job on an old truck (after #2, rebuilding a mechanical diesel injection pump, and #1 scratch building a new microchip from a billion itty bitty resistors and a soldering iron, frankly , a job that almost no-one here on IH8MUD tackles) Job requires some special tools, and in the absence of the availability of proper special tools, then some clever garage hacks. But, it's do-able by almost all humans. If you can do your own appendectomy on a picnic table with a steak knife, then you can easily figure out a transmission rebuild.
That reads like poetry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom