H55F impressions and "gee whiz" numbers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Today I took my H55F-converted 62 for its first long drive from Snohomish, WA back home to Spokane Valley, WA. LOVE IT. It's a joy to drive again. I'm shocked at just how much power the A440F robbed from the engine. I knew it was a lot, going in, but to experience the difference is really something else. I still have the 31" tires on and of course the stock 4.11 diff ratios, so my tires are essentially too small for my new gearing. What's interesting though, is that my odometer is spot on, with only a error factor of 1.004 (multiply the odometer reading by 1.004 to get true miles traveled). I calculated this based on what it read versus my GPS after 192 miles of the trip. The speedometer is off by quite a bit though, by a factor of 1.214. I suspect once I have 33" tires on the speedometer will be fairly close to accurate (closer at least) but the odometer will then read even lower than what it should. Going to have to double check the speedo driven gear to see what tooth count it has. I REALLY don't want to split the case to change out the speedo drive gear after the guys at @torfab sealed it back up so nicely to stop the leak. Not sure what I'll do about that if it turns out the driven gear is actually not the stock late 60 series ratio. Might just say "fuggit" and spend the money for a Speedhut GPS speedometer so I won't have to split the tcase lol.

The 62 with the H55F also handled the hills beautifully and had no issue holding (anyone with knowledge of central Washington is familiar with this) the steep canyon hill between Orondo and Waterville in 4th gear the whole way up, easily maintaining within the 5MPH threshold above the speed limit.

I definitely need to get the 33" tires on it as soon as I can though. At 70 MPH (per my GPS) my engine was running 2700RPM in 5th gear. Downshifting to pass was not an option because I would red line before hitting 70 MPH in 4th gear.

As far as fuel economy? I was shocked at how good it was considering how high my engine was running for almost the entire trip. From Snohomish to Leavenworth, WA (up over Stevens Pass, about 92 miles) I got 16 MPG even, and from Leavenworth to Spokane Valley (192 miles to the station I refilled at) I got 15.5 MPG. I'm curious to see if my fuel economy goes up, goes down, or stays the same with 33" tires. On one hand there's a LOT of level distance across the West Plains in Eastern WA where my engine will run lower RPMs to maintain speed, but on the other hand I expect I'll be shifting down to 3rd to get up the pass and the couple other steep inclines across the state.

Overall I LOVE LOVE LOVE the H55F and am only kicking myself for not doing it sooner. I still have to troubleshoot my cruise control and wire it in to my clutch safety switch (which I also am going to wire up. The shop didn't wire it in, but I didn't specifically ask them to, but I'm thinking I'll go ahead and do it just for safety's sake) and figure out why the hell my 4WD light still isn't coming on when I'm in 4WD. It stopped coming on immediately before the conversion and is still not working, BUT, I do know 4WD is engaging. What's weird is that it comes on for a couple seconds (as it always has) when I shut the truck off. Also want to bend the tranny shifter and the HI-N-LO shifter on the tcase (twins ticks baby) to more comfortable positions. Just a few tweaks to do, but I'm fricken giddy over this conversion.

Definitely a fantastic improvement. The taller tires do help at higher highway speeds, I'm running BFG LT235/85R16s on 70-Series wheels (~32 inches tall).

I run the same set up on 255/85/16 and the speedo is dead on. The only thing to really watch is the tach and that still works, who cares if the speedometer is off a few percent (once you get 33s). And the odometer-at 300K your absolute number becomes pretty meaningless. I vote you leave that stuff alone. Get your 33s and see where you are. Also, since 33s are larger and heavier, you will lose a tiny bit of perceived power.

The fuel economy was the biggest surprise. In town it still sucks but open road at moderate speed, I've seen 17 mpg which is shocking for a gas powered Land Cruiser.

The fuel economy was the biggest surprise. In town it still sucks but open road at moderate speed, I've seen 17 mpg which is shocking for a gas powered Land Cruiser.
That's the absolute best I've ever gotten on my stock '84 FJ60.

Nice work.

Be sure to research the true tire size for each tire manufacturer. I've read that a 33x10.5x15 BFG K02 may have an actual diameter of 31.5" or less. It would be discouraging to get a new set of 33" tires in anticipation of a nice tire overdrive only to find the benefit was less than you initially calculated. But, any 33" would be better than the 31" (which are probably less than 31") you have. Do you currently have the stock FJ62 wheels?

The 3F-E likes to spin. 2700 rpm is fine especially at that speed.
I had 31s with the stock 3:70 gears on a FJ60 (2F engine) and that combination was too tall (in my opinion). I rarely could drive in 5th gear unless I was hauling ass on the freeway and I always was downshifting to 4th at any rise or if I had to slow a tad. The gearing wasn't right.

If I had the money, I would have put 4:11 gears in the diffs and kept the 31s (for better performance, braking performance and lower center of gravity and ease of carrying the spare)

@Spook50 this sounds like a huge win. I enjoy my H55 very much. The lower first gear and overdrive really kick butt. Interesting to hear the difference in odometer and speedometer. Mine seem to be the same percentage difference. Speed or miles times 1.128 (found on a gear calculator linked here). I’ve confirmed the speed via GPS and counted mile markers. Maybe the 62 has different speedo gears/ setup?

@OSS I guess driving style/preferences come into play here (maybe even the region you drive in). I don’t think 33’s with 3.70 is too tall. I only use 5th gear at 55mph+. Around town 45mph speed limit (4th gear can handle). The only reason I’d go 4.11 is for faster acceleration or better trail manners in low range. Not disagreeing with you at all. Just interesting.

@Spook50 this sounds like a huge win. I enjoy my H55 very much. The lower first gear and overdrive really kick butt. Interesting to hear the difference in odometer and speedometer. Mine seem to be the same percentage difference. Speed or miles times 1.128 (found on a gear calculator linked here). I’ve confirmed the speed via GPS and counted mile markers. Maybe the 62 has different speedo gears/ setup?

It does. What the exact drive/driven tooth numbers are for factory on a late 60 and on a 62 I can't remember. It was posted in a thread a while back but I'd have to look it up. Even if the speedo gears in my tcase (late 60) are factory correct, that would mean the speedo and odometer need calibration. I had inquired about that a while back and was quoted $500 to rebuild and calibrate the assembly. I think at that point I'd just convert to a Speedhut GPS speedo and keep my other factory gauges at least until I finalize and can produce and sell my solid state regulator project (still wanting to use my own gauges as a test bed).

Nice. Is your cruise control factory or aftermarket? Wish mine had it
It's a Dana kit that was installed before my old man bought the truck in 1990. I suspect it was a dealer option from when the truck was sold as new.

Lately it's wanting to continue accelerating when I set the speed, so I'm trying to find what's causing that and remedy it. I don't think it's the actuator (which is vacuum/electrically controlled); at least not any vacuum function of it. Checked that with my Mityvac and it holds vacuum just fine. No leaks. I suspect something electrical, but without any documentation I'm lost in the woods trying to determine wiring schematics.

Last edited:
Thanks for the writeup for us H55-outsiders-looking-in people. My auto trans continues to shift well, not leak, etc. - so still holding onto that for now.

We always used 20% power loss as a rule of thumb for engine to wheels through a transmission. Did some googling just now and one blurb suggested 20% for an AT and 15% for a MT for modern components. Those older FJ62 transmissions could easily be worse...or could have gotten less efficient with age.

A note on your odo vs speedo. The odometer is driven off a gear drive through a cable and is locked into its ratio. So if the odo is accurate then the planets aligned and your gearing, diff ratios, and tire size all combined to match the original numbers. Your speedometer is an inductive design that is also driven off the odometer cable but is not a geared connection.

I can still remember the first drive when I got my H55 - single best cruiser mod. Up there with the upgrade to OME springs and running 33s. Congratulations and enjoy!

We always used 20% power loss as a rule of thumb for engine to wheels through a transmission. Did some googling just now and one blurb suggested 20% for an AT and 15% for a MT for modern components. Those older FJ62 transmissions could easily be worse...or could have gotten less efficient with age.

A note on your odo vs speedo. The odometer is driven off a gear drive through a cable and is locked into its ratio. So if the odo is accurate then the planets aligned and your gearing, diff ratios, and tire size all combined to match the original numbers. Your speedometer is an inductive design that is also driven off the odometer cable but is not a geared connection.
Precisely, which is why I suspect the speedo driven/drive gears may not be the factory ratio for a late 60 series. The speedometer itself would be easy for a professional to recalibrate though. But for the cost, I'll just use my GPS speedometer app on my phone until I can put in a Speedhut GPS speedometer.

Your thread has made me realize I've been driving an H55f for 15 years! Bought mine brand new in 2005 from Cruiserdan and he delivered it to me at Cruise Moab. It was in my FJ60 until 2010, and then migrated to my FJ62. It only has maybe 50k miles though, and still drives like new (ie slightly notchy 3rd gear!). It is the very best thing to do to an FJ62, no question.

I did my conversion in Feb 2004. This is a required upgrade I'd do even if the H440F were brand new. The power is there just waiting. I can accelerate uphill in 5th on moderate grades, Texas Hill Country. I drive 80mph often in traffic and cruise between 70 and 75. Speed limits in Texas are often 75 and I keep up. Speedo is off pretty seriously on 33's. Showing 60 I'm doing 70. I use Waze all the time so can see the GPS speed. Years ago I just had to remember the difference at each 5mph increment.

That's the absolute best I've ever gotten on my stock '84 FJ60.

i got 18mpg once with my stock tires and stock 4 speed....but I was driving East out of the rocky mountains and it was pretty much down hill for half a tank of fuel.

So after a couple road trips with A/C on and averaging about 70-75 MPH, with P285/70R17 tires (33" with about 9.3" tread width), my fuel economy is averaging about 14 MPG. Not bad considering that was my high end average with 31" tires, no A/C, about 65-70 MPH and the A440F. I'm very happy with the H55F. Spendy, but like many others I'd say the best mod I've made (have done, actually) to my 62.

101262194_2907769929459278_7359110300563406848_o.jpg

Why Toyota never offered that transmission in the US is beyond me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom