H55f fill plug thread size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone happen to know the thread size on the fill plug from and H55f from an 83 BJ42 - save me having to take it off and measure?

Thanks,
Evan

I don't. I believe they are the same as any TLC tranny from roughly the same period but I could be wrong. The fill plugs on my 42 seem to be the same as on my old 87 FJ60.

Do you need a new one? Lots of parts suppliers out there...

B

Voostra said:
Anyone happen to know the thread size on the fill plug from and H55f from an 83 BJ42 - save me having to take it off and measure?

Thanks,
Evan

18mm x 1 sounds right but I'd take the fill plug just to be safe.

18x1.50

:beer:

I'm doing the 'peace of mind' mod of running a hose from the tranny to transfer to keep oil level in the transfer case up in case it does it's usual failure and start pumping oil uphill. Need to buy elbows to fit the hole, and just wanted to save myself the hassle of going under twice (yes it's lazy, but... it's cold out right?)
They're probably sufficiently cheap I could just buy both sizes and throw the wrong one in the parts bin for later use.

Thanks for the help,
Evan

Do you have the seal problem now? Does your tranny overflow when you check the fluids?

On both cruisers I've owned this has been the case but it has never been drastic enough that regular fluid checks didn't take care of it. I do have the hose on my current rig until I can replace the seal, but even then I don't think I would put one on until I had the problem. It doesn't just blow and then voila all your t-case oil is in your tranny.

This has been my experience so others should correct if wrong.

I'm suspicious. The tranny has felt a little stiff and maybe a little noiser than usual lately which I gather is one symptom of the tranny being overfull. I'd like to put it in for peace of mind (yah, maybe the pumping is slow, but still probably any level lower then norm is not a good thing, and it's harder to check than say, engine oil). It'll also tell me if the seal is gone, and I need to put that on the todo list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom